Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

01 Caprice

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
The stock turtle shell engine cover was a faded silver and was peeling and ratty looking. So the only work I've done to the car is a re paint of the engine cover. I did this at night, under a sensor light which would turn off and on at 30 second intervals (basically in the dark) in the middle of a Tasmanian winter, in an apartment block. Yet it turned out not bad at all. Still needs the silver lettering done on the sides yet.

10442928_836214023056669_4861633709462873707_n_zps91205f1c.jpg

10384141_836861442991927_5174515024459367172_n_zps8daf9671.jpg

Apart from the ratty engine cover, its quite a clean car. I haven't needed to do anything else to it.

All I want to do is take the HBD wheels off, store them and put a nicer set of 18" wheels on, maybe deeper with more lip. A bit more power from the LS1 would be nice, but nothing too loud or harsh.

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Definitely a clean looking car mate :) Always great to find one owned by someone who kept it stock!! Have you got any plans for it?

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
So far, just wheels, maybe moderate exhaust...

I would like to get a solution to the stereo issue that all these Caprice cars seem to have- the rear stacker was missing (I guess probably died) so I ordered another one. It got here last weekend and I installed it and tried to get it to go. I got 'Error 99' and the $120.00 stacker was a waste of time and money. Luckily I got a refund.

So now it looks like either I keep buying stackers until I find one that works, or I take the Eurovox head unit out of the car, and I replace it with a good aftermarket unit with USB in, etc. If I do that, I will lose the rear seat passengers stereo functions.

Pros and cons of stackers vs aftermarket head units.... Pity that Holden did not get the sound systems right in the first place!!!

Other than that, cleaned the wheels with wheel cleaner and a pressure washer and the next day the traction control light on the dash would not go off. Stayed on for a few minutes (I assume the traction control was disabled during this time) took it for a drive and it sorted itself out after half an hour and the light went off and has stayed off ever since. Probably got water in an electrical fitting when I washed the wheels....

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Well, luckily, third time's the charm. After 2 Eurovox stackers I bought failed to work, I ordered a third one. And it seems to work!!!

I must be insane or highly committed. $300.00 in faulty stackers later, and I've got one that works for the time being......!!

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
So far, I've read a lot of the forum threads here and have accomplished:

- fixed the blown globe in the PWR button down by the shifter (removed console to do it)
-Replaced the outside ambient temperature sensor inside the front bumper
-replaced blown globes in the dual zone climate control unit
-replaced blown globes in the instrument cluster
-learned how to remove and replace the HSV sat nav unit screen from the dash
-learned how to remove and replace the plastic inner guard in the drivers front wheel arch without jacking the car up or taking the wheel off
-learned how to replace the park light and main headlight globes & indicators on both sides

Last edited:

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Realized I didn't have many photos of the car, so here goes...

(disclaimer: my camera phone is crap. And it was a crap dull overcast day)

I like the rear. I added the 5.7 High Performance V8 badge to the bottom left of the tail light garnish panel. I liked the badge.

IMG_20140816_172417_638_zpsdda25aa6.jpg

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
For the first time in my life I have a sunroof that actually works properly..

IMG_20140816_172301_461_zps5c144089.jpg