Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vu-ss-nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS 5.7
Hey everyone, so I'm pretty new to Holden but I purchased my VU a few months ago, is a 2001 5.7L SS with 172,000kms.

So recently I have had the power steering rack/boots replaced and a wheel alignment done. However, my left front camber is still out by nearly two degrees as I have a bent shocky.

The car has already been lowered so
I need to replace the pair of shockys at the front (which will cost me about 500 without labour) but was wondering if it was worth spending the extra 1k and just getting pedders to install a complete coilover kit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to save for a respray so buying coilovers will set me back quite a bit..

Thanks guys !!

Last edited:

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
I have xyz's in mine, at around $800 for the front, aren't much more than standard shocks/ springs. these give way more clearance than oem and can allow more adjustment for alignment.

H

harrop.senator

You can get the shocks cheaper then $500 for decent kyb jap made are around $120 ea on trade or ebay and about $30 on ebay for two strut top bearing sets.

I avoided xyz as a few friends have had them and they werent great after a while but others have had great reveiws so unsure if yheir hit n miss or the earlier ones werent as tweaked as they are now.

Tein coilovers are pretty good and in the jap scene are renowned as being soft. But that'd probably equate to great in a holden as holden suspensions much softer then jap cars.

Pedders extreme 32 way adjustable are a really nice shock and very adjustable from almost stock softness all the way up to a fat kid will bend your guard sitting on it as suspension wont move.

When i did the research into the coilovers available for holdens i decided to stay conventional as not the greatest of fans of tein and the other brands were even lower quality again.

I went with bilsteins which cost me more then the coilovers not including springs but id run them before and had never been disappointed. I first wanted koni yellows as theyre adjustable but the new ones are prone to leaking.

Just to clarify im not anti coilovers three out of five cars i own run coil overs just arent many options for holdens and thought the build quality for money of the bilsteins was much more suited then what was available.

If you're happy with the height of your car and its stiff enough for you with the current spring combo in it I'd just stick to conventional struts. The adjusters seem to bind up and stop clicking properly after a few years on most coilovers ive had as well but you can dial them in first and then set n forget .