Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

01 wh v6 intermittent no idle

jem001

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman v6
Very intermittently my 2001 wh v6 will not idle at all, runs fine so long as you keep your foot rested on the accelerator. Also intermittently misses but not at the same time and more frequently than the idle problem. Also intermittently struggles to start, sounds like it has a flat battery but lights work fine and battery has power so far has always started.

Have replaced fuel pump and filter, plugs, leads, coil packs and dfi, cleaned throttle body, replaced key, replaced battery, checked alternator output.

Also can hear a very slight rattle in the engine (possibly timing chain) when accelerating up hill, is fine under full acceleration on level gound.

Has me beat, any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jem001

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman v6
Ok I beleive the non idleing is due to the computer, it seems that you can trick it to idle again by getting it started with your foot rested on the accelerator and then let off ever so slowly, holding the accelartor steady if it sounds like it is going to stall, until it is fully released and the car is idling again.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Ok I beleive the non idleing is due to the computer, it seems that you can trick it to idle again by getting it started with your foot rested on the accelerator and then let off ever so slowly, holding the accelartor steady if it sounds like it is going to stall, until it is fully released and the car is idling again.
It could be the IAC valve that is the problem. Often a good clean with carby cleaner can fix them.

jem001

Reaction score
Members Ride
wh statesman v6
cheers, I will give it a shot