Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

02 Rodeo v6 3.2L performance options??

Slim Rodeo

Granny Shiftin All Day
Reaction score
Members Ride
TF LX SPACE Rodeo
Hi all this is my first post so hopefully its in the right spot,

I have owned my 2002 space cab v6 3.2L rodeo for the past two years and have had it on my L's, Reds and now greens and do not intend on parting with it. It is horrible on fuel but why else would I be working :)
I have so far added a K&N Pod Filter to the engine and a 2.5" catback exhaust system with a high flow cat, hot dog muffler and a varex muffler/tip. Apart from adding extractors I was wondering what kind of mods I could do to really give some kick, .... I'd love to eat an xr6 ;)
I have been looking into dyno tuning, ecu remaps etc. but am unsure of what would be best and where to go as I cant find much info on modding my car, any input would be helpful thankyou,

also my first and second gear really pull hard but when I change into third it feels as though I lose all my power :/ I change into third at 80 making my 1st and 2nd so short and strong, what can I do to fix this? lengthen my gears? but im afraid if I lengthen them then I wont have that same power in first and second...

Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not much you can do short of going forced induction. Changing the gear ratios of the box will be a very expensive exercise, and I don't see much point. Maybe see if you can find a car that shares the same diff with a taller ratio? What kind of engine is it?

Realistically though, it was designed to be a work horse, something that was practical. This is probably why first and second gear is so good, so that it was easier to cart around heavy loads. Likewise the suspension is most likely going to be a design to accommodate that. Having said that, this platform is probably not the best for mods. Maybe look at a mini truck forum or something.

Slim Rodeo

Granny Shiftin All Day
Reaction score
Members Ride
TF LX SPACE Rodeo
Yeah cheers, it makes sense that the lower gears are shorter for heavy loads, I am considering dropping a different box into it my mate thinks his vs has a good one but im unsure of the amount of work it would require to adjust anything to allow this, I would just take it to a mechanic or someone if it can be done. Do you know how much roughly it is to get the ECU remapped for performance and who can do this?
Ill check out mini truck forums too, thanks again.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Same deal with swapping gearboxes. Need an adapter plate to be made to fit the different bolt pattern, most likely a custom tail shaft. Depending on if the clutch is hydraulic or not you need to work out if the clutch setup will work or if you need to modify it to run a cable or hydraulic clutch. Pricey and a lot of work, and IMHO not worth it for an N/A Rodeo that hasn't been setup to do anything.

Chances are that not many people will be able to remap the stock ECU (unless it's a Delco) as it's not really in a platform common for modifying, and not particularly popular.