Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

02 Sensor

D

death-from-above

I did a fault code check last night on my VS and it came back with this:

12 No RPM Signal (OK stationary engine)
13 No RH Oxygen Sensor Signal
45 RH Exhaust Rich Indication
57* Injector Voltage Monitor Fault
63 No LH Oxygen Sensor Signal
65 LH Exhaust Rich Indication
76* LH & RH Short Term Fuel Trims Differ
78* LH & RH Long Term Fuel Trims Differ

The main thing that concerns me is the 02 Sensors, I have the service history of the car and both 02 sensors where replaced in July 2002. At $91.50 a piece I dont intend to rush out and buy two new sensors every so often. Any ideas as to what could be causing the problem? Im going to reset and do the relearn procedure just to make sure that if it was done after the installiation of the 02 sensors, so Im not picking up an old fault.

D

death-from-above

You can either follow the one on this site :
Fault Check

or follow the directions off another site:
Commodore Codes

Well i erased the codes and did the relearning procedure but it still came back with all the same errors. Well it looks like I will have to fork out for new 02 sensors which im not happy with since i only bought the car a little while ago. Although I would really like to know what is causing the problem, any advice on any of the faults mentioned would be very helpful

P

portercg

Hi Death
The trouble with fault codes is that they depend upon other things being OK like injectors, earth connections and the like. How old are the spark plugs?

Otherwise you could be treating a symptom not the cause if you get what i mean.

Are 2 of those codes in conflict? one code says no O2 sensor signal but another says the motor is running rich? It needs the O2 sensor working to say if it's rich or lean? Anyone got feedback on that?

I was not a hands on techie when these things came out but it doesn't seem right.
Play it safe and go through the other stuff, especially if the car was in a prang and the beaters might not have been careful when re-connecting looms and earth leads.

One really neat thing you could do if you have a digital multi-meter is to run the motor and measure the tiny voltage the O2 sensors produce as the exhaust gases react with the sensor. It's fascinating to see but if it produces the right output range as per the manual, they would be OK. I use a $20 Arlec digital multimeter, bought it 10 years ago, still working just fine.

D

death-from-above

Ill give it a go, my dad has a multimetre that can do everything bar wash the damn car or cook you a roast dinner

D

death-from-above

The spark plugs are about 4 months old, its due for a major service so when I get the time hopefully i will fix both 02 sensor problems and the rough idling and shaking when it changes from first to second.

B

brettkp

Death,

Before replacing the O2 sensors, check out my post http://forums.justcommodores.com//index.ph...p?showtopic=620

I did exactly the same thing, replaced the sensors only to find they were not the problem. The wiring in the harness was faulty (possibly from manufacture).

Hope that helps

Brett

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
the thing that fault codes don't tell you is how bad the "problem" is. it could have just been a momentary aberration in the system, or it could be a persistent problem (say if the sensor is busted). is the engine fault light on regularly?

porter,
the problem with monitoring 02 sensor outputs is that even if its in range, it's not necessarily working right. i measured mine and they were in range, but the sensor was a gonner.

secondly the O2 fault codes can easily be a result of an excessively rich or lean mixture. this is bad, but it's not the sensor's fault.

Locksmiff

Reaction score
Another thing with fault codes, or atleast the one sI know 100% as in rich and lean. It will store a code if it ran lean or rich for a set amount of time. If its under that time, it won't store a code.

It may well be nothing and its stored it because for say I dont know last thrusday for 40 seconds it ran lean, so it stored it, even though it may not be running lean etc now.

I would give the old sensor a good clean as carbon builds up on it.

I would at a guess think your injector error has caused the others, from an undiagnosed and fault finding perspective.