Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

02 Sensors and fuel economy

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea be careful with the TB cleaner, i took my intercooler cores out of my blower and soaked in degreaser and still didnt budge the gunk but spray with nulon TB cleaner and boom started to come off straight away then just left some soak and all gone, so just be careful around any rubber/plastic/paint ect

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Just Commodores sent me this link in an email page. Anyway I have a VQ that will change to a pig with fuel if the temp sensor that feeds the engine temperature into the ECU fails. This is different to the separate sensor that feds the temp gauge signal. Anyway, if that's the way your engine is set up, that sensor's worth a look.

muzammil.i13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vz 2006 (Chevrolet lumina 2006)
My car is running/idling roughly, can smell fuel smell seems running rich, lots of black carbon on spark plugs, exhaust pipe etc..
Also, engine stalls at sudden braking, low speed, turning, stopping at signal. The stalling issue is very random, it could happen anywhere in the middle of the road. RPM needle is not stable when this happens. The needle jumps up/down like surging. Car is struggling to maintain 500+ RPM at idle, low RPM issue. I have P0050 error reported (O2 Heater circuit malfunction) on Bank-2, sensor-1. Could this be the problem? any help is appreciated.

I have changed:

1- Spark plugs twice
2-Coil Pack
3-Cleaned injectors with cleaner after dismantling the plenum
4- replaced gaskets for both plenum and intake manifold
5- did catalytic system cleaning process
6- ensured no air is being leaked
7- cleaned throttle body
8- cleaned MAF
9- Replaced MAF
10- replaced vacuum pipe connected to air intake tube. as it was unplugged/broken

I'm suspecting whether the O2 sensor is the culprit of all this? if not ECU? I'm pretty much out of options.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
@muzammil.i13 The 02 sensor may be an issue or could be a second or third order effect from something else. Do you have access to a scantool that can read live data? A good scan tool can identify the history and current DTC. If you start there and get a read of all the DTC affecting the beast you can then grab the diagnostics from the manual (availble to download from this site) and clear them one by oneuntil you have it running again.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
My car is running/idling roughly, can smell fuel smell seems running rich, lots of black carbon on spark plugs, exhaust pipe etc..
Also, engine stalls at sudden braking, low speed, turning, stopping at signal. The stalling issue is very random, it could happen anywhere in the middle of the road. RPM needle is not stable when this happens. The needle jumps up/down like surging. Car is struggling to maintain 500+ RPM at idle, low RPM issue. I have P0050 error reported (O2 Heater circuit malfunction) on Bank-2, sensor-1. Could this be the problem? any help is appreciated.

I have changed:

1- Spark plugs twice
2-Coil Pack
3-Cleaned injectors with cleaner after dismantling the plenum
4- replaced gaskets for both plenum and intake manifold
5- did catalytic system cleaning process
6- ensured no air is being leaked
7- cleaned throttle body
8- cleaned MAF
9- Replaced MAF
10- replaced vacuum pipe connected to air intake tube. as it was unplugged/broken

I'm suspecting whether the O2 sensor is the culprit of all this? if not ECU? I'm pretty much out of options.

Mate I would be having a good look at the evap purge solenoid, if it sticks open you will get those symptoms.

muzammil.i13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate I would be having a good look at the evap purge solenoid, if it sticks open you will get those symptoms.

Thanks mate, I'll definitely look into it. I have replaced MAF sensor, replaced spark plugs, coils, checked fuses, relays etc. but without any solution. I don't think i have any major vacuum leak. since i know the typical behavior of a vacuum leaked engine. It usually is persistent but my issue is random with rich fuel smell from exhaust pipe. Any tips on how to ensure whether this evap purge solenoid is fine or not?

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
You do know what the Power button controls?

muzammil.i13

Reaction score
Members Ride

hey mate.. you are the savior of the day. You tip on EVAP was exactly my problem and it has been resolved now. Much thanks to your genius input

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Yes, I know how it operates, that was in response to the OP. He may too, many believe it does actually give extra power, a HP button.