Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

03 Vy battery light on lost power and won't start

Shaun Lyndon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Cosmo s pac
Hi, i purchased my car yesterday and drove it over 4 hours that day and a further 2 hours before it just died and the battery light turned on (No warning) we pulled over and it would not start even after about an hour wait, I got it home and pulled the leads off and there was good spark from all of them I can hear the fuel pump prime and the battery is new and bright green I had a look behind the alternator and it's plugged in tight and wires seem fine,there is no fault when it does it's system check.there was only one other issue the starter motor is a lil iffy though not bad.im not verry good with cars but I'm all for learning. thanks

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
My guess would be a faulty alternator.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Have you tried a different battery or using a jump start pack my car did the same on wednesday in redbank plains near the repco store. battery was still showing green but wouldn't start used a jump start pack and it started so it was new battery time.

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
try alternator regulator before brand new alternator

if it starts when its cold, could be your crank angle sensor, pour cold water on it if it stalls after another drive, then try to start it

Shaun Lyndon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Cosmo s pac
Hi,thx for the feed back.i had a mechanic come throw a scan tool on it and he ran 2 tests one said low voltage the other said high also a something about an o ring in the gearbox as he was an absolute legend and done it free of charge I didn't want to flood him with questions though he mentioned if there is somthing wrong with the injectors similar isues would acure but that wouldnt explan the battery light and wouldnt it come up on the obd? i live in sale 3850 would you know where I could ask about the regulator.have tryed to start it since still no go also i tryed to jump it of a landcruiser and a lancer but not a battery pack the previous owner assures me it's a basicly new battery only few weeks old but to be sure I did try the vz battery.thank you

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Hi,thx for the feed back.i had a mechanic come throw a scan tool on it and he ran 2 tests one said low voltage the other said high also a something about an o ring in the gearbox as he was an absolute legend and done it free of charge I didn't want to flood him with questions though he mentioned if there is somthing wrong with the injectors similar isues would acure but that wouldnt explan the battery light and wouldnt it come up on the obd? i live in sale 3850 would you know where I could ask about the regulator.have tryed to start it since still no go also i tryed to jump it of a landcruiser and a lancer but not a battery pack the previous owner assures me it's a basicly new battery only few weeks old but to be sure I did try the vz battery.thank you
Have you checked the big fuses, starter relays and earth leads off the battery to chassis tight, is your key fob working good and contacting the ring around the ignition key.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ignition switch is number 10 in the car 7.5amp fuse, swap the starter relay with the headlights they should be the same.