Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

04 3.6 VZ woes

Timbo17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 3.6
Hi people. I'm new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join. I hope this isn't too long winded or confusing.
My 04 VZ 3.6 LE0, approx 250000 k's is running rough at idle, not so much at speed. I recently lent it to a rellie who drove it several thousand k's without topping up the oil at all, so it was almost dry when I got it back. I suspect the timing chains have stretched. I've got weird codes from the OBD11 dongle thingy. P00aa, B2aaa, P0053, U03b1, P1000, P00bf, B1fb1. Some of them basically mean it the code isn't recognised.
This morning I decided to disconnect each coil in order. The 3 right bank coils did the usual rough running you'd expect. The 3 left bank coils barely showed a difference when disconnected, if any. Chances are the chains need doing anyway and I'd do it myself but I don't wanna do it and put it all back together and it be something else. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also, a lot of shops advertise timing chain kits for the 3.6 from 07 up even for the LE0. What's the difference with my 04?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
It's an early engine with the thicker chain, should be ok as long as there was still oil flowing. Get it scanned properly and go from there. They still need fuel, spark and compression to run like any other engine, so get it scanned and systematically sort though the issue(s), no good guessing or just throwing parts at it mate.

Timbo17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 3.6
It's an early engine with the thicker chain, should be ok as long as there was still oil flowing. Get it scanned properly and go from there. They still need fuel, spark and compression to run like any other engine, so get it scanned and systematically sort though the issue(s), no good guessing or just throwing parts at it mate.
Thanks mate

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Bugga, I'm down the port but if you can't get it scanned I can run a tech2 on it and see what it says if you get stuck.

Timbo17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 3.6
Bugga, I'm down the port but if you can't get it scanned I can run a tech2 on it and see what it says if you get stuck.
Thanks mate. I'd drive it up to you but at moment it's not registered. Thought I'd fix it properly before using it again

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was forced to join the forum.