Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

04 Rodeo Engine problem

willsky

Brickie
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 vf ppv ss commodore
I have an 04 RA Rodeo dual cab 3.5l 5spd man.

On the weekend the car started running rough i topped it up with some oil and only fixied it up a little, an O2 sensor light flashed up possibly running rich, petty smelling exhaust and hell smoky on the down rev. I had a roadside mechanic come take a look right away because I was a bit concerned for the big girl. We disconnected all the coil packs and found it is running on 5 cylinders, swapped a coil pack and the problem didn't jump still in the cylinder or what I hope it isn't a valve the dealer told me when i bought it second hand that a valve had been replaced(new clutch too:blah blah:)???

Also tested the injector cable and it is pulsing.

Got his advice about towing it or driving it around to the EMS and injection pro round the corner(aparantly he is the best in perth) . Took it in and he connected the tech2 and cleared the computer kicked her over ran it a bit, no problems. He also plugged in the izuzu card and done the same tests.

The computer still said no error codes.

He said the problem has to be mechanical so after the WA public holiday next monday we are going to do core testing. I will let you boys know the results.

The car idles normally at(approx) 1000rpm ,100km/h in 5th gear is 2000rpm and 1st to 4th from 0-55km/h the revs don't go over 2000rpm...when this started on the weekend now the poor girl shutters/vibrates/shakes at around and inbetween 1300-1500rpm

Code:
has also burnt up nearly 10 litres of oil in 3 months and no more than 7000km

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
If it has used 10 litres of oil in 7000 Km then you have a serious problem. Most likely worn rings or a cracked piston. If you take the spark plug out on the cylinder that is not running properly you will probably see it is covered in oil and a thick carbon buildup which will be why your engine shudders. The oil will also damage your oxygen sensor by blocking it up with carbon.

willsky

Brickie
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 vf ppv ss commodore
cheers for the heads up mate

i thought it might be a valve because when i bought it nearly 4 months ago the dealer told me about the valve i asked about it and he said who knows something must of gotten in there or something...now i kinda feel like an idiot ay but i have consumer protection on it now and still if the axe falls my way ill be spewin but i am ready to put a new motor in and cut my losses. Dam well cheschire cat bastard. Goin after enforcing implied warranties which is regardless of the statutory 3 months warranty(fingers crossed but).

Anyway i will reply the diagnosis when the big sick bitch of a car gets looked at on tuesday, mondays a wa pub hol.

willsky

Brickie
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 vf ppv ss commodore
Got the compression test done 123 were 170 160 170 ant 456 were 160 140 160 the 456 plugs were buffered 5 was oil contaminated like a bitch and had cracked insulator my bloke put higher grade plugs on the passenger side(456) and advised to swap from 10w-30 to 15w-40 to slow things down looks like it's gonna go down over n over. Have any of u guys seen this problem before is it the rings or a piston issues I'm leaning toward rings because all three passenger side cylinders have lower compression...I'm still pushing the implied warranty I don't wanna pay for the head to be removed and pay wages/labour for a whole day I'm going to have the dealer pay for sellin me the damned motor or I'll put a reconditioned motor in it.......I will reply the news when I get it...it's running good now but we think it's gonna be short-lived anyway I'll let u boys know.. and u were Spot on mate but there something more sinister goin on in there I'll get to the bottom of it.

Last edited: