Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

04 VY CALAIS CAM/CRANK SENSOR ISSUE

AZZAON3

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vy calais series 2 supercharged
Hi all new to forum. Need some help my vy calais stop starting out of nowhere so i replaced the key and iv'e had two mobile mechanics look at it and got nowhere. It finally got it to run out of nowhere drove it very slowly to a mechanics who ran a snap-on scan tool it threw out cam/crank sensor error. ive had them replace both and now there telling me they weren't the issue and the new ones blew and the had to replace them. now there saying its a wiring issue. any thoughts as to what wiring issue would throw out those codes so far its cost me 600 bucks and still dont know whats wrong with it

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
Years ago My VR V6 was running real bad. I got a call out mechanic who after checking the scan tool said it was the crank angle sensor. After he changed it out for a new one and didn't fix the problem he then said it was more likely to be a coil pack. After telling him It is not a case of an open chequebook and he needs to be sure we found out it was a faulty spark plug lead. The problem these days is they go straight to the scan tool first and don't go through the procedures like the old time mechanic. Sure the electronics of today's care dictate that you need a lot of help, but in my case it would have saved me quite a bit of money

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
have you looked at your plugs and leads? Sometimes it can be the most simple things that are overlooked.
I had an experience 10 years ago when my VR was diagnosed with a faulty crank sensor. They replaced that and it didn't fix the issue. Then they suggested it would be a coil pack.Turned out to be a faulty spark plug lead (yes they do wear out). The mechanic went straight to the scan tool first and didn't check the old school way.
Just a little food for thought

AZZAON3

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 vy calais series 2 supercharged
I mentioned all of those things to mechanic they reckon i couldn't be that and apparently now they claim its a wiring issue blowing my sensors. i didn't know that was possible to blow crank angle sensor due to wiring problem

tom slick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 commodore sedan
As much as you would expect a new item to be perfect, It can happen where you bought a dud. Mighty unlucky but it could happen