Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

04 vy v6 s pac issues

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
just wondering, anyone else think the vy v6 is one of the slowest things on the planet?
we just purchased my dads vy s pac that he owned since new, one day the antenna extended and shot off......
the heater core started to leak foir no reason, its always had holdens bs coolant and servicing so no excuse why it should leak after 150,000ks.
so anyway my misses astra broke down so i siphoned the fuel out and put it in the vy, the vy ran like crap, so i decided to fill up with ultimate and runa a bottle of injector cleaner through the system, it went ok, purchased a 2.5 inch red back cat back (sounds completely different on a vy to the vt v6...) no change
cleaned and oild my k and n panel filter... no change
ripped out the plugs which were old and had a 1.6-1.8 gap, new plugs in with a .9 gap... no change
new bosch leads... no change
cleaned the maf... no change
cleaned the maf and put a brand new gmh paper panel filter in and cleaned all intake duct work... no change
lined up a ba falcon at the lights and had my arse handed to me, the astra had better take off then this pos, but 80-120 is the only bit of power band it has.
does anyone with a vy know or heard about vy v6 breathing oil?

i realise that it is a v6 but come on the astra honeslty took off faster then this, has anyone ran into this?
might change the fuel filter soon but had to buy these stupid tools that dont seem to work so see how i go, honestly not sure what holden as thinking when they made the vy

also the central locking system doesnt lock sometimes just honks at me and is driving me nuts.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Not quite sure what you are expecting from a near stock V6 , but the BA Falcon has about 30 more KW and about 50 more NM more torque in stock form than a Ecotec.

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
more power and take off then a 4cyl ecotec....... and more then a vx v6, honestly the vx v6 would smash this at least be able to light up the rears, like wtf is with that? i try to do a stand still it just sits there and stalls up, try to get it loose around a corner it just grips or understeers, it has the full fe2 set up, 235/45/17s and it was like grip day time trials at mallala, no skids

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Turn the traction control off if you wanna do a skid and chuck out the k&n filter out cos it will oil up the maf sensor

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I have a VX V6 , I was unaware that the VY was that underpowered , I would have thought they would be the same as they've basically got the same engine ,has it got traction control ? that might be switched on , that might explain why it stalls up if you try to spin the rears .

phillyG

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s2 Spac 3.8 n/a
I disagree somewhat haha
I have a 04 spac and it runs rings around a few cars
Ive beaten all my friends off the lights
One with a ed xr6 with full exhaust and high flow cat, a vz wagon with full exhaust and cai, a vr exec with full exhaust and a vp, all before I had modded mine at all
Now I have a 2.5 lukey cat back, mace throttle body, plenum and lower intake spacers, cai and tune and it flogs most (not all after all it is only a n/a v6) cars ive tried to give a run within reason haha
Course its not going to be the quickest car in the world but it goes well

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Sounds like it could just be a pile of junk.

Get a compression test done, transmission could be stuffed, or burn it and buy a V8.

Really need to try and narrow down where the power is being lost or whether in fact it is producing what it should to begin with.