Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

04 VZ Lumina oil

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Hi everyone I've gone out and bought 15w-40 oil for an oil and oil filter change next week for my VZ, just wondering if that oil will be okay to use?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
For an Alloytec? I'd rather put a 5W40 in it. Something like HPR5 or Synpower.
15W40 is a bit thick for cold starts in winter

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
For an Alloytec? I'd rather put a 5W40 in it. Something like HPR5 or Synpower.
15W40 is a bit thick for cold starts in winter
Yes 3.6l Alloytec, ahh bugger that's all I could find that was reasonably priced, as I am on a very tight budget, was only $21 for 5.5 ltr worth, it's Castrol GTX Ultra Clean 15w-40

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Does your book with the car say 5.w30?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes 3.6l Alloytec, ahh bugger that's all I could find that was reasonably priced, as I am on a very tight budget, was only $21 for 5.5 ltr worth, it's Castrol GTX Ultra Clean 15w-40
The other problem is that you need more than 5.5 litres. Watch the Repco website for sales, every few weeks there's an oil on sale around$20 and gulf western oils are always quite cheap. All the auto stores have a touch screen now, that you can find out what oil suits your car, as well as your owner's book like Gossie said.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
The other problem is that you need more than 5.5 litres. Watch the Repco website for sales, every few weeks there's an oil on sale around$20 and gulf western oils are always quite cheap. All the auto stores have a touch screen now, that you can find out what oil suits your car, as well as your owner's book like Gossie said.
Yeah i might have to wait, although it hasn't been done since 169,000 i bought it at 196,000 last week, and I'm doing a 350km trip Tuesday so was hoping to get it all done by Tuesday, I am going to buy another bottle of it today, the car holds 6.5l so the book says.
A few people I know have said that's all they use, and on a few forums too, but there's also a number of people who advise against it

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
You read and follow the books and the correct oil needs to be changed twice a year plus the filter.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
You read and follow the books and the correct oil needs to be changed twice a year plus the filter.
Think I'm screwed with oil then.
Could only afford the 15w40 all the rest were like $80 odd for 5l and I'd need that then another 1.5l to follow that so looking at around $110 just there without the filter.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah i might have to wait, although it hasn't been done since 169,000 i bought it at 196,000 last week, and I'm doing a 350km trip Tuesday so was hoping to get it all done by Tuesday, I am going to buy another bottle of it today, the car holds 6.5l so the book says.
A few people I know have said that's all they use, and on a few forums too, but there's also a number of people who advise against it
Wow, 25000 ks! If I was you I'd go buy another bottle of 5w30 in the same brand oil and use a mixture of the two. That should give you a mix of roughly 10w35 which is acceptable.
Either way just change it before it blows up.