Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

['04 VZ SV6] 5 Speed Auto Trans. Fluid Change

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
Hi everyone,

Been doing a couple of things to my VZ recently and was wondering if it would be too late to change the trans. fluid at 174,000 km?

I bought the car at 161,000 and don't have any books pre-140,000 other than service stamps (no detailed descriptions of the services) so I'm unsure if it's ever been changed.

If I were to change my fluid now, would I have any issues? (assuming the fluid has never been changed)
- has anyone else done this with a similar number of km's without issues, or am I too late and at the point where this fluid will be in the trans for life?

Also, how hard is it to install a trans. cooler, and are they worth it on these?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I don't believe those stories, I'd just service it now before it gets any worse. You will only be changing half the fluid anyway, plus the filter and cleaning the magnet so I can't see a downside.

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
I don't believe those stories, I'd just service it now before it gets any worse. You will only be changing half the fluid anyway, plus the filter and cleaning the magnet so I can't see a downside.
Okay, I guess I'll have a look for the filter and fluid and get it done soon (hopefully on the weekend if they turn up in the mail).

Thanks for your help!