Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'04 VZ SV6: Rear spoiler and 3rd brake light problems

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
Hi all,

My spoiler has seen better days with 2 of the studs broken off the internal fibreglass (I presume it's fibreglass, maybe plastic) of the spoiler. It wobbles like crazy when you shut the boot, so you have to hold it. Also, general 100 km/h driving the spoiler wobbles a slight bit in the mirror, but 110 or more it goes wild. Bumps in the road do the same, etc.

Anyway, I like the look of them and wouldn't mind either getting a new SV6 or SS spoiler, but I don't want them to do the same thing in the future where the front lifts up and looks unfinished. They seem pricey, and even a senator type 'lip' spoiler still runs about $300 as far as I've found.

I could remove it fully, but that does 2 things: Leaves 5 decently sized holes in the boot, is exposed to elements and looks ugly, and removes my 3rd brake light. If I were to remove it temporarily before buying another, or possibly to leave it off, what do I do about the 3rd brake light? I feel like I've seen exec's and what not driving around with the 3rd brake light at the base of the rear window where the little black 'ridge' is in the detailing, but that seems to be completely blocked off on my car...

What have other people done for 3rd brake lights (location, wiring)? and what are people's suggestions to do with the spoiler situation?

Cheers

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
I know this has been mentioned before on these forums, and I've searched myself, but none of them seem to have a final answer.

Can you actually just scrape the black detailing off? Etc.

Any help is appreciated. Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just disconnect it. Don’t have it.
Put some small vinyl dots over the holes or rubber grommets. When you find a new one, reconnect it all.

To get to that black stuff on the back of the rear window, it’s not going to come off easily. No matter how you do it, it’s going to fk up the window and look sht.

Yes, cars not fitted with the rear spoiler had a brake light under the rear parcel shelf.