Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'04 VZ SV6 - Tie rod ends & sway bar end links

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
Hi everyone,

Just recently noticed a sort of clunk sound when turning lock to lock, or close to, when on pavement. It started not so bad, but a week later it got a bit worse.

I've noticed the rubbers on my tie rod ends and sway bar links have kind of collapsed and there's a tiny bit of slop in the tie rod ends.

Around about how much have people paid a shop to do this, coz if it's not too much I'm just gonna get them to do it to not get the alignment outta whack, but if it's expensive and I can do it at home without ruining my alignment, I'd like to do it to save money.

Any suggestions, prices, are appreciated. Cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
First, replacing the tierod ends means getting an alignment...Whether you do a home job alignment or shop alignment it needs to be done so the tyres don't wear out prematurely. So trying to save a buck not getting it done will bite you in the bum in the long run....

2ndly labour.....You will get charged an hours labour to replace the parts.....Most shops charge between $110 and $130 p/hr....So the best bet is shop around and find out the best price you can get to have the parts replaced with either you supplying or them supplying and the price to have a 4 wheel alignment done, as VZ are toe adjustable front and rear....Doing just the front is being sloppy and will bite you in the ass in the long run

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
First, replacing the tierod ends means getting an alignment...Whether you do a home job alignment or shop alignment it needs to be done so the tyres don't wear out prematurely. So trying to save a buck not getting it done will bite you in the bum in the long run....

2ndly labour.....You will get charged an hours labour to replace the parts.....Most shops charge between $110 and $130 p/hr....So the best bet is shop around and find out the best price you can get to have the parts replaced with either you supplying or them supplying and the price to have a 4 wheel alignment done, as VZ are toe adjustable front and rear....Doing just the front is being sloppy and will bite you in the ass in the long run
Yeah righto, I'm just gonna get a shop to do it haha. I thought that'd be the case. 4 wheel alignment sounds good too.

Thanks for your help!