Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

['04 VZ SV6] Transmission Cooler Line & Fitting Sizes/Types

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
Hi everyone,

Looking at installing a cooler on my car when I do a transmission fluid (& filter) change.

What type of fittings/lines do I need to install the cooler in-line (after the radiator cooler tank thing)?
Also, how do I go about it? Do I have to cut the 'out' oil line from the radiator and tap into it there, or do I buy a threaded connector and connect the 'out' from the custom cooler to the original 'out' connector?

Sorry about the strangely worded and kinda dumb question, I just don't wanna screw it up and have the hoses blow off and spray red oil through my entire engine bay.

Thanks for your help in advance, cheers.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I too am interested in this. GM use quick connect fittings.

My guess is to use a quick connect adaptor to AN fitting. Use braided line maybe to the cooler.

You can unscrew the quick connect fitting from the radiator and install a traditional barb fitting also. Then the hose goes on with a worm drive clamp as used to be done.

I like the AN fitting idea better. Cost a bit more though. Look way better.

Laty’s Garage on youtube did a good install of a cooler on a VZ but he did it straight back to the trans itself.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
I've done this on three VZ's and just cut the hard line and use trans hose and injection hose clamps, never had one blow off. I did however swedge the lines with a flare tool to help the hose grip. This is the sort of thing from some random youtube clip I googled.

Dechlan Tutty

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ SV6 - Auto (5 sp.)
I too am interested in this. GM use quick connect fittings.

My guess is to use a quick connect adaptor to AN fitting. Use braided line maybe to the cooler.

You can unscrew the quick connect fitting from the radiator and install a traditional barb fitting also. Then the hose goes on with a worm drive clamp as used to be done.

I like the AN fitting idea better. Cost a bit more though. Look way better.

Laty’s Garage on youtube did a good install of a cooler on a VZ but he did it straight back to the trans itself.
Sounds good, I'll look into the AN-quick connect adapters and fittings.
I saw Laty's video last night which has helped me out a bit too. I think I'll do the same thing for the mounting brackets.
Thanks for your help!

I've done this on three VZ's and just cut the hard line and use trans hose and injection hose clamps, never had one blow off. I did however swedge the lines with a flare tool to help the hose grip. This is the sort of thing from some random youtube clip I googled.
Cheers mate. If the AN/quick connect idea doesn't work, I'll have a look at this. That video is nice and handy too, I might have to get myself a flare/swedge kit (just to add to my tool-addiction-fueled collection haha.

I might make a follow up post when I've installed the cooler if other people wanna look at what I do in the future. (It may be a couple weeks though)