Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

06 VE SSV, Removal of factory amp and stock subs

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V, V8, 6 Speed Manual
hey all,

i have been doing some in depth reading about installing a LOC, amp and sub into my SSV.
i have the 11 speaker setup with the two free air subs in the parcel shelf.

my question is, if i remove the factory amp and leave the loom just hanging there, will that affect any of my other speakers?
i beleive that amp is only to power the subs, someone correct me if i am wrong.
like if i remove the plug on the stock amp, where can i tap into the rear speaker wires for the LOC?

i want to disconnect the factory amp, remove the stock subs.
have all my other speakers still working,

and run a sub off of a mono block via a LOC

im a bit confused about this, and its only because i dont understand how the factory amp works.
if someone with the 11 speaker setup has done this, id really like to know what youve done.

this thread may have done better in the car audio section, but im kinda aiming at VE SSV owners in particular.

ive read nearly all the ve sub install threads on here, but im still unclear on what i can\cant do with the factory amp and subs.

appreciate all tips and thougts,
cheers,
Timmo

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi Tim

I'm not 100% sure if that amp powers just those 2 speakers on the parcel shelf or all of the speakers and I was in the same boat as you and didn't want to risk it, so what I did was cut the speaker cable running to both of those rear speakers and added some length to them, then went and installed the LOC on those 2 cables for left and right :) ... it works perfectly

The only thing is, still to this day I have no accessory switch in the boot so my amp is always on and i've had some pretty close calls with my battery running flat (if I leave my car sit for more then 2 days without starting it) so if I know it gonna be more then a day without starting it I take the fuse out of the amp so it's not sucking power...

i've seen a million sub install threads on this forum but never once had the question answered as to what the hell people are doing for turn ons in the VE

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I'm pretty sure all the speakers would be powered by the amp as it is the premium system. My old RX8 had a premium system with woofers in the doors and all the speakers ran off the amp so i got behind the head unit and put a LOC there connected it to the rear speakers and put a sub in the boot.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I doubt those crappy 6 inch speakers would be amped.

Why don't you just disconnect the amp and see what happens i.e. which speakers still work?

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, i did think about doing that. ill unplug it after work and see what happens, will let you know

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
I have done it with my ssv the factory amp is just for the subs unplug it and tap the loc into these wires on the amp plug
Left Rear - Yellow/Red(-) Brown(+)
Right Rear - Light Blue(-) Dark Blue(+)
And run your remote wire from the front as there is no acc wire in the boot of a ve

timmo666

Reaction score
Members Ride
yup, well i disconnected the factory amp, and only the subs turned off.
where did you tap into your turn on wire illusion?

and do you have any pictures of your install/wiring?

cheers

illlusion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY10
I used a add a circuit fuse and plugged it into the accessory power outlet fuse

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
so illusion if you have a 2 channel loc would you have to use both left and right speaker wires from subs to connect to the loc or just one side..i.e left or right??