Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

06 VE SSV slow to crank when hot

xbmcnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
This problem has been on and off for 2 years now and it's driving me nuts.

When the car is cranked first thing in the morning, it turns over just fine and starts on first crank. If I drive it to work (2 min) and start it say 3hrs later, all is fine too. However, if I drive it for 30 mins, turn it off and pop into the dairy, when I try to start it again it sounds like a flat battery and cranks very slowly most often tripping the computer and safety mode. The longer I drive, the worse the problems seems to be. Drove 4hrs 2 weeks ago and the problem plagued me all weekend but then when I got back, Monday it started just fine. Today, it started fine in the morning, fine at the coffee shop 5 minutes later but after driving 20mins North and parking for 10mins, it almost did not start and tripped into safety mode. The battery gauge on the dash shows the battery is charging (sometimes) but every now and then, it does read only 12V but from reading the forums, this is normal? (electronic charge control).

The battery was replaced <2yrs ago for one with the right CCA rating and was recently checked with 4 different meters proving it was providing enough cranking amps. The car has been to Holden twice and another garage once and despite being told all manner of stories, the problem still exists.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Check the battery charge level in the engineering mode. To enter this mode, hold the "enter" dial on the steering wheel while turning the ignition on (no need to start the engine). But I doubt it's a battery problem since you can start it just fine when it's cold again (which proves your battery is charging correctly).

What you could do is jump start the car when hot. If it's a battery problem, you'll now right away. Or maybe the starter is defective and get stuck when too hot?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Starter motor heat soaking replace it, also where the positive terminal/red post in engine bay is a joint where the cable for starter goes across the engine bay to starter, check if its not a bad joint (seen it happen)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have the battery Load Tested by a competent Auto Electrician.

xbmcnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Starter motor heat soaking replace it, also where the positive terminal/red post in engine bay is a joint where the cable for starter goes across the engine bay to starter, check if its not a bad joint (seen it happen)

Thank you. I suspect it is indeed the starter motor dying when the engine gets hot. I did re-work all of the main battery leads including the interconnect where the jump start point is and although that seemed to fix things, it did not last.

xbmcnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Have the battery Load Tested by a competent Auto Electrician.

Thanks. This was done by an auto electrician with 4 different meters and he advised that the battery is absolutely fine and producing the cranking amps it should.

xbmcnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Check the battery charge level in the engineering mode. To enter this mode, hold the "enter" dial on the steering wheel while turning the ignition on (no need to start the engine). But I doubt it's a battery problem since you can start it just fine when it's cold again (which proves your battery is charging correctly).

What you could do is jump start the car when hot. If it's a battery problem, you'll now right away. Or maybe the starter is defective and get stuck when too hot?

Good advice, thank you. I will charge and carry a spare battery and that will help me identify the problem.