Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

06 VZ Engine Shaking during Idle & Drive

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
So my car is finally registered, and after that I thought I might get a bit of fun out of it, but to no prevail.

I was driving my car this morning fine.
I go to start it in the afternoon and the engine is shaking and running so so so rough at idle, the engine light is flickering on and off. To try and suss it I drove to the end of the road, whilst driving it was still shaking like hell, and making like a low pitched groan, and if accelerated it would make a whistle too, leading me to believe it's a vacuum issue but I'm not sure? Would be very odd for a vacuum issue to just appear out of nowhere. I went over all of the vacuum lines and couldn't see anything beyond the norm so not sure on that part!

I don't wanna go on a wild goose chase and start chucking money at all the wrong parts, but the scan tool wont display any codes because it's intermittent, so if anyone has any pointers they would be greatly appreciated?!

I'm looking to replace the manifold gaskets and sparkies next pay, possibly coil packs if I can $$ and see if that helps the cause - but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it, this car is giving me hell!

Note: Timing chain has been done so that's not part of the issue I believe.

R.p

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz exc commodore 04
Getting the same issue but I’ve fixed what I could see but mines still shaking and idling rough! And even when I give it now it doesn’t sound the same as what it used to underload help would be appreciated

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Getting the same issue but I’ve fixed what I could see but mines still shaking and idling rough! And even when I give it now it doesn’t sound the same as what it used to underload help would be appreciated

Yeah so I found that my vacuum line on the back that controls the HVAC vents had come off, that stopped the shaking slightly however I am pretty sure the damage extended beyond that, as it was misfiring etc beforehand too.

Taken off the manifold today to redo sparks and what not and find that not only has the previous owner not put on a gasket, they bent the rear manifold bolt so it wasn't sealing, they did the coil packs up so tight that the thread on the copper rings in the rocker cover are actually stuck to each coil pack - so they can't even be tightened!

Made a downright mess of it if you ask me, now I've gotta fix more than I thought and leave with the solid message if you're gonna do it at least do it fkin properly!