Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

06 vz issues

Sorryaboutit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
Hey guys
I got a 2006 vz Leo sedan and was having random codes spat out and really rough idle/kept shutting down so I got it towed home and the tow truck guy had a wagon that he basicly gave to me, got the mechanic to do the engine swap and now the car eventually starts and runs smooth as.
But there is still problems that mechanic and multiple auto electricans can't solve.

First it was cam sensors, got them changed then it said the cams on the other side..
1 time said slip ring
Another time no connecting to ecu
Saying 1,3,5 coils no connection

Everytime mechanic resets the codes it comes up with different codes.
Check powertrain error is coming up on dash
The car wont rev over 3500.
The car takes a few turns of the key to get started.
Just yesterday the cars electrics randomly shut off for a second while doing 90ks, it just turned back on and kept driving like nothing happend.

It's got everyone stumped, just hoping someone might of had this problem before.

I'm a carer so don't have any more money to keep chucking at random mechanics and need to car for doctor appointments etc etc

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Mine went through a series of events quite similar.
Sent the ECU off to be checked and it came back as fine. Thing was throwing codes like it was a sport.

Was eventually resolved when I replaced the cats with some from a wrecker. Also had vacuum leaks and cracked exhaust manifold.
Non genuine o2 sensors were replaced with Bosch ones. Also had a short in the o2 circuit where water from the AC was dripping into the rear o2 sensor plug and with constant water running on the plug, it got in. Cleaned the plug with contact cleaner and repositioned the harness out of the way a bit better. It is under car each side of the transmission.

Might be a good idea to clean the plugs on the sensors with some contact cleaner too. Blow some air in (can get a can from Jaycar) and replace the plugs on various things.

Check and clean all your earth points on the engine harness. You can do that at no cost. Disconnect the battery (negative).
Undo the earth points on the harness, clean and give the surfaces a little clean with a scourer. Wipe and replace the nut back into the heads and engine block.

Give the cam sensors a clean (1x10mm bolt holding them in) They are on the front of the motor and easy to reach.
Give the Cam solenoids a clean.
I use throttle body cleaner on them.
Give the solenoids a good soak with it.
Blow them out with some air and put back in.

Some simple jobs that can rule out any problems before you get to a suspect ECU.

On that, clean up the little earth on the ECU.

Might not change a thing, but at least you won't be paying someone to start doing it.

Last edited:

Sorryaboutit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
Mine went through a series of events quite similar.
Sent the ECU off to be checked and it came back as fine. Thing was throwing codes like it was a sport.

Was eventually resolved when I replaced the cats with some from a wrecker. Also had vacuum leaks and cracked exhaust manifold.
Non genuine o2 sensors were replaced with Bosch ones. Also had a short in the o2 circuit where water from the AC was dripping into the rear o2 sensor plug and with constant water running on the plug, it got in. Cleaned the plug with contact cleaner and repositioned the harness out of the way a bit better. It is under car each side of the transmission.

Might be a good idea to clean the plugs on the sensors with some contact cleaner too. Blow some air in (can get a can from Jaycar) and replace the plugs on various things.

Check and clean all your earth points on the engine harness. You can do that at no cost. Disconnect the battery (negative).
Undo the earth points on the harness, clean and give the surfaces a little clean with a scourer. Wipe and replace the nut back into the heads and engine block.

Give the cam sensors a clean (1x10mm bolt holding them in) They are on the front of the motor and easy to reach.
Give the Cam solenoids a clean.
I use throttle body cleaner on them.
Give the solenoids a good soak with it.
Blow them out with some air and put back in.

Some simple jobs that can rule out any problems before you get to a suspect ECU.

On that, clean up the little earth on the ECU.

Might not change a thing, but at least you won't be paying someone to start doing it.

I got brand new cam sensors
The auto electrician changed all the earth plugs that he could see ( do you have a list of where they all are? )
Will getting a Cat back exhaust eliminate the cat problems ?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The auto electrician changed all the earth plugs that he could see ( do you have a list of where they all are? )
No a catback exhaust is from the cats back hence the name catback

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
All I did was go to the wreckers and get some cats. Swapped them out.
Unbolts from the headers/exhaust manifold and from the mid section exhaust.

I had mine checked with an infra-red thermometer and seemed fine, however it was a last resort. Had a gut feeling something wasn't right there. They were no good.

Sorryaboutit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
All I did was go to the wreckers and get some cats. Swapped them out.
Unbolts from the headers/exhaust manifold and from the mid section exhaust.

I had mine checked with an infra-red thermometer and seemed fine, however it was a last resort. Had a gut feeling something wasn't right there. They were no good.

Turns out we put a different engine in
Both are Leo's
The original was hbh and the diner engine was hbl
The auto electrician told me he could flash the computers and get it running normal.
Anyone here know if this is true?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The codes mean nothing. As long as an LE0 is used.
There should be no need to have computers reflashed at all. You use your harnesses and computers just as was.

Don’t be lead up the garden path on this subject.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
What makes a difference is LE0 replaces LE0. LY7 replaces LY7. LFX replaces LFX. LLT replaces LLT etc etc.

Sorryaboutit

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
So what else could the problem be? I've noticed all these problems on other forums are after an engine swap yet none of them have the solution to it