Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] 06 vz Knocking noise

Gemmamaryy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
hey guys just chasing some advice,

When releasing the brakes I hear some sort of a clunk / knock seems to be coming from the passenger side I’ve been advised I need new strut top bushings I just had New caster rod bushes replaced now this noise at random but only when releasing the brakes. Any advice ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did a mech look at it and tell you that? It is a pretty common for struts to get knocky. If it is the strut it would be best to overhaul the strut components and best to do both sides. It is fairly normal that the left side fails first as that gets the worst part of the road. If the strut top gets real bad it will pop right through one day when you hit a bump and could dent your bonnet.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
strut.jpg

Gemmamaryy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Did a mech look at it and tell you that? It is a pretty common for struts to get knocky. If it is the strut it would be best to overhaul the strut components and best to do both sides. It is fairly normal that the left side fails first as that gets the worst part of the road. If the strut top gets real bad it will pop right through one day when you hit a bump and could dent your bonnet.

Thanks for that yes mechanic advised the noise prior to this would be the strut tops and advised me it’s easy to change if I wanted to do it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah they did mine both sides for $120 labour plus parts, which I supplied. Mine is a VR though but it shouldn't be a lot more for your VZ.

Gemmamaryy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Yeah they did mine both sides for $120 labour plus parts, which I supplied. Mine is a VR though but it shouldn't be a lot more for your VZ.

Thanks heaps hopefully it’s just the strut tops making the clunk noise as it’s not all the time and doesn’t seem to effect the driving.