Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

07 statesman 6.0 backlash

twents

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF evoke LPG
Gday,

Got a VE stato 6.0, had the gearbox serviced and all is good by a reputable gearbox joint, had the diff serviced which actually didn't need servicing.

The problem: Feels to me like theres a little slop or backlash or whatever you want to call it, in the drivetrain, gearbox or diff. Usually happens when slowing down for a red light then it goes green again, when you accelerate you get a slight thud like the driveshaft is turning a 1/4 of a turn before you move. Doesn't happen all the time, mainly slowing down then re accelerating it will happen.

Gearbox people say all is good, no problem, diff people say the same thing. Diff guys had it up on the hoist and had someone in the car putting in drive and reverse while someone underneath was checking for movement.
All diff bushes are new they say as well as the diff oil.

The car has around 235,000kms on it now, but has been well serviced with the past owner.

Anyone suggest anything else I can check?

Cheers

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
go get a second opinion, and/or take them for a drive so they can see exactly what you mean.

twents

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF evoke LPG
yeah I have done that mate, been for a drive also.

slepar

omg duz it like...dose??
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss
My ve ss has the exact same problem mate, I hate it, it's so uncomfortable in stop start traffic, I've put it down to the gearbox not going down gears quick enough when you slow down then when you accelerate again it drops down the gear, POS It is, it really is a crap car to drive some times, no one seems to have a fix for it not even gearbox shops, I've even done the deep pan and wide mouth filter mod which did jack s**t

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Had any bushes changed from the factory rubber ones to nolathane?

I noticed quite a difference in my old xr6 turbo when the bushes were changed

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon

Ahhhhhhh, I have the same issue on my VX commodore since I changed the bushes to nolathane type.

Good to know, also to the OP did the diff place put the right oil in the diff?

Mine was horrendous when I had LS90 in it, but it is a VX with a different diff.

cruelass

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
I have complained to the dealer about this problem. My 07 SS seems to have backlash between forward and reverse. The bloke at the service dept said they would try and reprogram or update its computer when i got the trans serviced.But was unsure whether the trans would accept the later program. He mentioned something about line pressure or something maybe causing it. I wonder if there's any way to wipe/reset the trans computer to make it learn from scratch?

twents

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF evoke LPG

do you mean the problem got worse when changed to nolethane? or do you sugest to replace with nolethane?
I think all the rubbers are factory at the moment.

twents

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF evoke LPG
Ahhhhhhh, I have the same issue on my VX commodore since I changed the bushes to nolathane type.

Good to know, also to the OP did the diff place put the right oil in the diff?

Mine was horrendous when I had LS90 in it, but it is a VX with a different diff.

nah they didn't change the oil, it must have been done before I bought it as the oil is clean\new.