Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

08 ve commodore check alternator warning

Shelly4490

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 60th anniversary ve commodore 3.6l auto
Hi guys hoping someone can give me a bit of advice on my car please.

I have a 2008 ve commodore auto v6 that has had the "check alternator warning" randomly popping up on display for about a month now. Car has still been running fine, one day it wouldn't start for me but left it for a few hours and it started fine but would check alternator warning would still pop up almost everytime i drive car.

Tonight i took car to for 20 minute drive to get dinner, got parked to wait for food and in that time the check alternator popped up again then after about two minutes of that the "battery saver mode" came up. Stayed on the whole drive home.

Is this saying im certainly going to need a new alternator? Any help would be greatly appreciated guys

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, check the output of the alternator at the alternator, to see if it's putting out 13.5 to 14 V.....If it isn't the alternator will be ready to give up the ghost....

Next check, is see if the voltage at the battery matches the alternator output...If it isn't, it'll be dirty connections, freyed wiring or loose wiring...More than likely at the laternator....If it is, rectify as necessary

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
sounds like alternator mine went at 155k