Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

09 ve omega engine light

Keith Luckman

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve omega
Ok, just bought this 09 omega couple of months ago and asked this forum for help with that dam engine light, and I thought I had fixed it with buying the really expensive 98 octane fuel, but now it has started with the missing on acceleration, and that dam engine light keeps coming on AGAIN. So this time the ESP is turning off and then back on, it usually only misses on acceleration as soon as I get up to speed it runs well, if i put my foot down hard, SOMETIMES it will miss, at others it just takes off like a bat out of hell. i have discovered this week, that if I use the tiptronic shift or even the sporty auto shift it misses a lot less, but still does a bit, now as a suggestion i have had one guy tell me its just the spark plugs and it DOES feel like an old case of plugs breaking down under load, but what the hell is going on with the ESP bullshit. I bought an obd2 code reader and it shows a random multi cylinder misfire but it wont tell which ones, and a couple of times it has said, "to rich in right bank" I have found if I let it warm up a little before moving out, it is a bit better, but from cold it is hell bad, can any one help??? COULD it just be the spark plugs or is it more likely to be a sensor mucking about ???? please help guys,and girls, whats next????
if I take it in to a service centre will they be able to tell more info from their obd2

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
ESP always turns off when there is an engine fault.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If you are going to do Plugs, also do your Leads, one goes hand in hand,
I had a plug misfire intermittently, and replaced Plugs and Leads and its all good now,
Also remove the Throttle Body and clean that, then see how it goes.
At least its a start with a process of elimination, which you can do yourself.
[got to start somewhere]

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If you are going to do Plugs, also do your Leads, one goes hand in hand,
I had a plug misfire intermittently, and replaced Plugs and Leads and its all good now,
Also remove the Throttle Body and clean that, then see how it goes.
At least its a start with a process of elimination, which you can do yourself.
[got to start somewhere]

No leads on V6

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

Keith Luckman

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 ve omega
thanks guys, so your thinking plugs, as I am but I'm a bit confused as it doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen, its under acceleration, never just cruising along, oh and the car has done just over 160thou ks I don't know if the plugs have ever been changed,, too far you think ???????????

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Plugs should be done at 120k, if they've not been changed that would be my first step. If the problem still occurs the correct scan tool will tell you which cylinder is misfiring. Once you determine the faulting cylinder swap coil packs then retest and see if the fault follows the coil pack. If it does you know the coilpack has failed, if it doesn't it will either be an injector or an ECM issue.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Scan tool would be a good start.

Ricey pretty much nails it here. Grab an OBD tool or hell, go to Supercheap and get them to scan it for you and give you (and us) the P codes. That'll tell you which cylinder's misbehaving and tell us where you realistically need to look.

I had an issue like this after my Ute's engine replacement. In this case the plug on cylinder 4 was cracked. Ran fine when the car was sitting still, the second I took off? Bong, bong, Limp mode! Or rather, "Safety Mode Active" shows on screen, indicating the engine's in limp mode.

If that doesn't solve it, it could be the dreaded timing chain issue, or a dicky cam position sensor. P0008 is the code for the cam sensor (read as performance issue, Right bank), P0018 and P0017 are the timing chain codes. Despite it being an '09, is it a MY09? Does it share the same engines with the MY07-08s that have that chain issue? If so, there's a recall that needs to be done on it. Alternatively that indicates as well that it could be something like a clogged cat, dicky O2 sensor, crank angle sensor, etc.

Here's the thread on that.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/my-10-sv6-timing-chain-p0008.231905/