Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

09 Ve omega headunit swap for ss 6 stacker

YeAHbOi

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE holden commodore omega
Hey guys , just purchased a 09VE omega series 1 brought a ss series 1 6 stacker headunit off a mate of mine can I just use it as a plug and play or is there any tips tricks or advice you guys could give me to make it an easy install !! Appreciate any help

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It is more or less plug and play. However. The headunit needs to be VIN matched to your car. You may find that installing it first, the car might not start. The CANbus system will know there’s an incompatibility and prevent the car from starting.

YeAHbOi

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is more or less plug and play. However. The headunit needs to be VIN matched to your car. You may find that installing it first, the car might not start. The CANbus system will know there’s an incompatibility and prevent the car from starting.
Yeah mate I just found this out, rang a audio place It has to be re- programmed apparently . They want $150 to re program it I understand ppl need to live and run a business but $150 to push a few bottoms for a couple mins work . Think it’s going to be more cost effective to just buy a aftermarket kit and have them install it I’ll keep looking into it cheers for your help mate

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You’re far better off doing that. You can bring Android Auto and Carplay to the car using an aftermarket head unit. Throw in better speakers and away you go.

YeAHbOi

Reaction score
Members Ride
You’re far better off doing that. You can bring Android Auto and Carplay to the car using an aftermarket head unit. Throw in better speakers and away you go.
Thanks very much for the advise mate definitely going to just go aftermarket let someone else install it and deal with the headache I’ll do the easy job of just paying i
For it

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
From memory it's $100 to reprogram with $50 being a refundable deposit. At least that's how it was when I did SS-SSV head unit swap. Pretty cheap way to get a better audio system with a factory screen etc.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cost me about $1500 to fit, double din, amp and a pair of splits. So don't think for 1 min you will get out of it cheap. I still need a sub and that's going to add about another $200.

YeAHbOi

Reaction score
Members Ride
From memory it's $100 to reprogram with $50 being a refundable deposit. At least that's how it was when I did SS-SSV head unit swap. Pretty cheap way to get a better audio system with a factory screen etc.
Don’t know mate the bloke on the phone just told me it’s a 150 to re program it they don’t install , wire or anything else just reprogram . I’m liking the look of the series 2 iq complete conversion that I have seen but in no really rush so I’ll keep doing a bit of research ! Cheers for your input tho appreciate it

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don’t know mate the bloke on the phone just told me it’s a 150 to re program it they don’t install , wire or anything else just reprogram . I’m liking the look of the series 2 iq complete conversion that I have seen but in no really rush so I’ll keep doing a bit of research ! Cheers for your input tho appreciate it
If you put a S2 conversion in, you have rocks in your head. They are slow and clunky. The cost of doing it verses what’s on the market now, no comparison. You’ll also need someone to VIN match the S2 head unit and you won’t like that bit.

Best maps on a an IQ head unit will be 8-10years old.

I converted mine to S2 and it was good at first but back then the Apple CarPlay headunits never existed. Nor did the Aerpro adaptor facia for HVAC control, which offers better styling and feature access than Holden made (IMO).

Even in S2 VE, you’re now better off retro fitting a few S1 interior parts and going the after market options.

Last edited: