Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

09 VE SV6 wagon

MattSharkie17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 09 SV6 Wagon
Hi guys some help needed if you can .
Have a VE SV6 - the timing chain replaced 3 years ago at 120k
2 years ago 150k lost power, heaps white smoke, running extremely rough
Many error codes including missing, low fuel pressure,O2 etc
Towed to mechanic who couldn't find anything wrong and it ran fine.
Had a number of smaller issues since- one where the coolant and oil were low .
Have had coilpack, multiple sets of spark plugs and numerous other parts replaced to help
Basically run fine since using Penrite and adding oil every 400k and keeping oil level very high . Is 180k now .
This week it had another lost power, heaps white smoke, extremely rough, incident when towing .
Mechanic cleared PCV valve, choked again after 40ks. replaced fuel pump/filter choked again after 40ks and used about 35 litres fuel to Chugg 40k.
I have been told it's white oil smoke but hard to tell using a cloth as just an overwhelming fuel smell .
Have had it suggested the problem is variable timing, head gasket, transmission fluid leaking, carboncdioxide in water etc and just sell it.
Anyone had similar or got any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance .

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
White smoke can be the engine burning coolant from a blown head gasket.

It could also be burning trans fluid which would suggest a cracked “trans cooler” which is at the bottom of the radiator.

But for either coolant or trans fluid - to get into the combustion chamber, there has to be a blown head gasket.

Also using that much oil is but over the top. It could also be burning oil in the chamber (but oil smoke is more blue), which could explain the “fuel” smell

MattSharkie17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 09 SV6 Wagon
Thanks dajoker,
So do you think I should get them to fix the head gasket first and see how it goes from there ?
What cost involved in that ?
Appreciate your help.
Matt

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
In all honesty I’d be going to an actual engine rebuilder instead of taking it to a corner garage.
They’d be able to diagnose it.

If it is a blown head gasket, I’m not sure how much it would cost, but I’d be getting the heads cleaned up while their off the engine.

If it is going to be a huge expense (mostly due to labour costs), maybe think about an entire engine swap.

MattSharkie17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 09 SV6 Wagon
In all honesty I’d be going to an actual engine rebuilder instead of taking it to a corner garage.
They’d be able to diagnose it.

If it is a blown head gasket, I’m not sure how much it would cost, but I’d be getting the heads cleaned up while their off the engine.

If it is going to be a huge expense (mostly due to labour costs), maybe think about an entire engine swap.

MattSharkie17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 09 SV6 Wagon
Ok thanks will look for a good engine builder.
Can I try a bottle of Head Gasket fix in the meantime such as Blue Devil or super Cheap have Rislone. Will that keep it running ok so I can find out my options ? At that moment it is blowing that much smoke I can’t drive it.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
I wouldn’t worry a thing all about a quick fix. By the sounds of it, it’s beyond a quick repair. Get it diagnosed, to be absolute certain, and go from there. Speak to some engine builders, and then get it towed there.

MattSharkie17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 09 SV6 Wagon
I’ll let you know how it goes - thanks for all your help on this.
Matt