Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1.5 cubic feet box design

V

VKnVLCalais

Hi all, i have to make a box for my subwoofer.
Construction is a piece of cake for me, but when it comes to the mathematical side of things im dumb. i dont expect u all to know what the inside of a standard vk boot looks like, but i need a design that preferably fill the the ledge directly behind the back seat.

I would like to keep the main part of the boot square. The subwoofer recommends the box be 1.5 cubic feet ported or sealed.

Has anyone made one to this size? or would anyone be able to design it for me.
post pics if u have any.
I also listen to more rock sort of music, disturbed. metallica gunners etc etc.

thanks in advance.

phree

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Acclaim
1.5 cubic foot ported or sealed? That seems a bit unusual, normally an optimum ported box will be bigger than a sealed for the same sub. Depends on the tuning though.

Just out of interest what is the brand and model of the sub? Do you have the Thiele-Small (TS) specs for it? These usually come with the sub. They are Qts, Fs, Vas, Qms, Qes, xmax etc. This will help determine the optimum volume, for your sealed enclosure.

You have made the right choice of enclosure for your music IMHO. Sealed sound good for rock etc. Ported usually suit loud techno sub bass more.

Its hard to give a box design with no dimensions at all, and i don't have a VK handy. Can you supply one or two dimensions, like the height from the floor to the parcel shelf at least. Then i can calculate the rest for you.

A basic 1.5 cube box would be:
Height- 22.25 inches
Width- 13.75 inches
Depth- 8.5 inches
These can all be changed to suit your space however.
These are internal dimensions, so the wood thickness is not included. 18 mm MDF is considered adequate, but thicker is better if you can get it.

One other thing, is the 1.5 cube size you gave gross or net volume i.e. does it include the volume of the sub or not?

Have fun.

:)

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
phree said:
1.5 cubic foot ported or sealed? That seems a bit unusual, normally an optimum ported box will be bigger than a sealed for the same sub. Depends on the tuning though.

yeah, i think the general rule is ported boxes are about 2x the size of sealed.

V

VKnVLCalais

ok, thanks for the replies.
my subwoofer is a Kenwood KFC-W3005 4Ohm,700W peak power.
i cant find the website that recommended the 1.5 cubic size now. heres what i want it to fit into. And heres my design (1stdraft) now i think a ported box would suit my music better. The dimensions in my box is to fit snug into the boot. but of course if the ported enclosure needs to be smaller, thats fine. because i will be putting a cover plate infont of the box so it looks smooth.

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,382
  • Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 2,295

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Here's the specs... I got the same sub as you.

Attachments

• KFC-W3005.jpg
    KFC-W3005.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 16,968
V

VKnVLCalais

matty, ur a champion!! now, how do i go about changing the design from a square into something with the angles from me design. The rear angle is so it sits close to the back seat, and the reason the angle is at the front is so the subs face up a little, towards the outside of the car.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I just made mine as a boring box, I wanted to make it angled, but i didnt have time.