Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1.9:1 ratio rockers to suit Buick (non ecotec) V6's

hsvanthony

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim 3.8ltr
just installed mine before made a loud ticking nose after running for a few mins i killed it let it settle for halfa and when started again was better after pulling apart and going over everything 4times lol i started it again and then left it running for 5 10 mins then turned it off for a while and when starting AGAIN it sounded mint so all is good now drove it but kept the revs under 2 grand as i beleive in runing it in lol ill keep yous updated also thanks to steve from mace for putting up with my ballbreaker phone calls lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, i had the same issue on start up, engine stuttered a little. Although i had the rockers in and bolted up for a day before start up (allowing the lifters to bleed down a little) so it wasn't as bad. Steve has increased the lifter pre-load a little with the new rockers/push rods. This should results in a quieter valve train then when it was new.

Something that may be worth a try if the lifters are noisy is running some Nulon "lifter free" even if it's just to give the hydraulic lifters a birthday. Seems to have made a improvement to mine overall :thumbsup:

hsvanthony

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim 3.8ltr
hey guys so the cars running all sweet now drove about 80ks last nite to let them run in then gave it a little bit to see seems to have gained in the top end so im happy, ill let you know more when ive tried it out more also. wouldnt mind hearing what other people who have put them in think? :) also will pulling my bellmouth help? :) thanks

LX_HATCH

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX Torana-Hatch
Mines still sounding very rattly. Im just about out of ideas. Im taking it to a couple of mechanics that I know to get them to have a listen.

Ive Changed the oil to 20W50
Checked lifter pre load with original gear and mace 1.9:1 rockers both about 1.5 turns.
Checked PTV clearance by getting piston at TDC and removing valve springs and dropping valve onto piston. There was ~10mm clearance here so its definately not an issue.
Checked for coil bind very hard to tell but I don't think they are binding.

Has anyone else on here fitted the crow valve springs with these rockers?
They are a single spring with and dampener (which is like a flat internal spring).

Ryan

MACE

Reaction score
just installed mine before made a loud ticking nose after running for a few mins i killed it let it settle for halfa and when started again was better after pulling apart and going over everything 4times lol i started it again and then left it running for 5 10 mins then turned it off for a while and when starting AGAIN it sounded mint so all is good now drove it but kept the revs under 2 grand as i beleive in runing it in lol ill keep yous updated also thanks to steve from mace for putting up with my ballbreaker phone calls lol

All good Anthony. That's what we're here for :) The lifters at times can take a little while to adjust to the new rockers (including on ecotecs) so the noise is nothing permanent.

hey guys so the cars running all sweet now drove about 80ks last nite to let them run in then gave it a little bit to see seems to have gained in the top end so im happy, ill let you know more when ive tried it out more also. wouldnt mind hearing what other people who have put them in think? :) also will pulling my bellmouth help? :) thanks

Ah glad to hear you're happy with them :) As for pulling out the bell mouth in this case they will help.

Mines still sounding very rattly. Im just about out of ideas. Im taking it to a couple of mechanics that I know to get them to have a listen.

Ive Changed the oil to 20W50
Checked lifter pre load with original gear and mace 1.9:1 rockers both about 1.5 turns.
Checked PTV clearance by getting piston at TDC and removing valve springs and dropping valve onto piston. There was ~10mm clearance here so its definately not an issue.
Checked for coil bind very hard to tell but I don't think they are binding.

Has anyone else on here fitted the crow valve springs with these rockers?
They are a single spring with and dampener (which is like a flat internal spring).

Ryan

Hey Ryan,

Do you know what brand of lifters were installed in the rebuild?

Have you checked the installed height of the springs?

Please keep us posted.

Cheers
Steve

LX_HATCH

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX Torana-Hatch
I spoke to the engine re conditioner and he said he wasn't sure about the brand as he gets them from a whole saler. But said the lifter are the same for Buick and Ecotec.

What part does the brand of lifters play?

Yes installed height is 1.7", crow data says closed height is about 1" and theres no way im getting 0.7" of lift, so it shouldn't be binding!!

MACE

Reaction score
I spoke to the engine re conditioner and he said he wasn't sure about the brand as he gets them from a whole saler. But said the lifter are the same for Buick and Ecotec.

What part does the brand of lifters play?

Yes installed height is 1.7", crow data says closed height is about 1" and theres no way im getting 0.7" of lift, so it shouldn't be binding!!

What part a specific brand of lifter does I couldn't tell you. But there are a few lifter manufactures around which may not be exactly the same as the genuine factory items. This can be a problem, depending on how they're designed, as they might not be able to dampen any changes in spring force as well.

The factory, plain bearing, pressed steel rocker does a good job as dampening the valve train, however when we replace that with a much stiffer roller rocker, it does less of a job at dampening the valve train and becomes more reliant on other components such as the springs, pushrods and lifters to do that job. This can lead to unwanted valve train noise.

I did get your email and have also forwarded it onto crow so we'll see how we go.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
did a few errands today with a with a trailer on the back. with the high ratio rockers on you hardly noticed it was there, before the rockers you definitely knew when you had a trailer on the back as you definitely needed to use more throttle :D

car pulled up much better too with the VT style Booster and MC