Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1.9 or 1.98 rockers?

hoofelmuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6 3.8L
hey all
im planing on getin rockers really soon and on maces website theres only a $45 diff between 1.9(including pushrods cos i got a vy) and 1.98. Will the 1.98 fit in my car? its preaty much stock v6 auto

MACE

Reaction score
hey all
im planing on getin rockers really soon and on maces website theres only a $45 diff between 1.9(including pushrods cos i got a vy) and 1.98. Will the 1.98 fit in my car? its preaty much stock v6 auto

For a VY We recommend the 1.9's (with push rods)

If you use the 1.98's there will be clearance issues with the push rods in the push rod holes through the head because of the excessive casting flashes. Holden got very sloppy with there castings when they knew the ecotec was coming to the end of the production line :(

Cheers

Bart

habs420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac Manual
Steve, would you recommend 1.9 for the vx? or 1.98?

hoofelmuma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive V6 3.8L
thanks looks like its the 1.9's then. also is it possible to get a cam later on or is there a clearance issue as well?

habs420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pac Manual
Crow cams have cams to suit 1.9 rockers. They are also on the mace site

MACE

Reaction score

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Sorry about bringing up the oldish topic but better than making a new one.

For a VY series 2 (don't know if that makes any difference), would you recommend the 1.9:1's w/push rods, or 1.98:1's? Do the 1.98:1's need the additional $110 push rods too? I'd imagine they would but doesn't say they are needed.

Thanks

MACE

Reaction score
Hey DUK13Y,

I'm always happy to reply to reasonable respectful questions :)

In regards to ease of fitment I would go with the 1.9's with push rods.

You can go with the 1.98's (which already come with push rods in the kit), however you'll have to grind/chisel away the casting flash (which is the main problem with VY's compared to the earlier model items) inside the cylinder head where the pushrod is located.

It can be done with the cylinders heads still on the car just a bit tricky. Otherwise if you install the 1.98:1 ratio rockers without doing this on a VY then it will be noisy.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
None, it should be fine. THere are some pix of this casting that was left behind on the older threads. I think its due to the fact the rods flex with the higher ratio and change in angle makes them hit the extra casting. I think you chisel or scrape off while having i magnet in there to catch the bits that fall in.

The aftermarket rods may be thinner, but are definately stronger as they may be Chrome Moly. You will only gain some reliability, no performance to be had from the rod change.