Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1.9 Rockers over time.

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
Hey all. My ecotec is currently without heads as there was bubbles from the radiator which isnt a good sign. Turns out the head gaskets were ok but there was a gouge in one head and as such hey are both being shaved a little. Anyway the problem looks to be the plastic manifold gaskets. Moving right along...

While its all apart Im looking a gettin some YT 1.9RR's and was curious to know if anyone has had a set for a few years and how they are now and if there are any problems with yours. For me they will hopefully be going on to a stock vs ecotec with cai, exhaust and about 280 thousand k's.

Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
if anything, roller rockers should reduce wear in the valve guides as standard rockers create a sidwways load that creates wear in the guide. roller tipped rockers almost reduce this side loading to nil so that means less wear

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
Thanks for the words immortality. Im all for getting the rockers and having them on when we put the heads back on over this week. But my dad who also is the mechanic is paranoid about coil binding and other valve and spring issues. Such as sending a valve into the pistions. The 1.9 ratio seems way out there to him and insists we reassemble the engine stock and break out the dial guages and calculators to measure everything. Ive sorta told him many times that Yella Terra would have done that and these really are ready to go units.

Does anyone have the measurments already? That would be great and save time for us.

hail storm

Reaction score
I've had 1.9's in my vy for 20,000km,so far all good.Still has factory valve springs and sees 6,000rpm often.

hail storm

Reaction score
To easy.The Raptor is putting in 10psi of boost @ 6,000rpm as well.:wax::w00t:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it's a shame that YT only make a 1.8 for the s1 VN or i woulda already had a set on mine. certainly if YT sell it as a bolt on replacment it should be fine. thye supply new pushrods if required for the application. no doubt if new valve springs were required they would advertise as such. certainly if it's a high mileage engine and you wanna rev it new springs may be in order. on a otherwise factory stockish engine i certainly wouldn't be worrying about things like valves hitting pistons etc. certainly if fitting cams and shaving heads/decking blocks etc it would pay to double check. maybe to satisfy the old man, bolt head on with a old head gasket and some plastersine on the piston. fit 1 rocker and turn engine over, then remove head and you can see exactly how much valve to piston clearance there is

Dan VS 231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Senator
Thanks again. Ill put it to him about the Raptor with the 10psi as well.

Another issue is that we found some kind of gouge or tool mark on one of the heads face so we had them sent in for a light skim to get rid of that. It shouldnt but would removing that small amount of material affect the extra clearance the 1.9s need?

I might as well order them and try the old playdoh trick you suggested immortality. If they dont work out Ill just ebay them and get the car going and ebay it too then go out and buy a 5L SS of some model. :p

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I've been running YT spilts(1.9inlet/1.95outlet) on my super6 for about 2 years now with no problem at all.
The head machining you talk of shouldn't affect the rockers as the stock lifter preload is between 1/2 and 1 1/2 threads and as long as you have at least the 1/2 a turn preload then should be ok.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
it's a shame that YT only make a 1.8 for the s1 VN or i woulda already had a set on mine.

It is, isn't it.

Why don't you run the 1.8s though?

I plan on doing so, sometime.