Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1 inch cordless DA polisher - Best bang for buck.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, I'm not wanting to spend much on a DA when I have a rotary that does a fairly decent job. I don't have any other Ryobi gear besides the 240v polisher. A DA would be better but if I need to spend big dollars I will pay to have someone else do the job. For example a bonnet buff is only $100. I can use my rotary with the wool pad on wax after I let it get nice and dry and it comes up mint.

So really more curious if it's worth throwing $109 at a DA when I have what I have? I'm of the thinking right now that investing in a cheap DA, I might as well stick with what I have as a cheap DA is just a waste of money, yeah??

It comes down to that I also have to factor in my time cost. And if my time is worth say $50 an hour, and spend 2hrs on a bonnet and $600-$700 on a DA, then I'm better off just paying someone and use my precious spare time to save money elsewhere.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can anyone tell me if I used a thick wool pad and quickly run over my dried wax to shine it, am I removing most of the wax I've applied? According to YouTube I have been using a cutting pad of the heaviest sorts. But I'm just running it over dry really quickly to shine up the wax, rather than try to laboriously shine it with a towel, which I do last of all anyway.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Can anyone tell me if I used a thick wool pad and quickly run over my dried wax to shine it, am I removing most of the wax I've applied? According to YouTube I have been using a cutting pad of the heaviest sorts. But I'm just running it over dry really quickly to shine up the wax, rather than try to laboriously shine it with a towel, which I do last of all anyway.
Don't let the panel get too warm or you will remove the wax.
Try and find a microfiber bonnet to cover the wool pad.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't let the panel get too warm or you will remove the wax.
Try and find a microfiber bonnet to cover the wool pad.
Cool, the wool pad is a tie on one. Its really thick. Basically all I do is skim over the surface to shine the wax. It doesn't get a chance to warm the paint. Am I still going to remove much wax? It does still bead really well.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is there any such thing as a microfibre screw on pad? I haven't seen them at the paint supplies or any auto stores. That would be perfect if I can buy one somewhere.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is there any such thing as a microfibre screw on pad? I haven't seen them at the paint supplies or any auto stores. That would be perfect if I can buy one somewhere.
Plenty of different sized microfiber pads around that have Velcro backing, just need a rotary backing plate of the right size and opposite Velcro backing.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Might have a sticky at Autobarn and see if they have any of these Velcro mounts and buffing pads.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Might have a sticky at Autobarn and see if they have any of these Velcro mounts and buffing pads.
My local Autobarn has Meguiars microfiber pads.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My local Autobarn has Meguiars microfiber pads.
Had a look today and so does mine. I will wait until they come on sale as I'd be up for around $75 or more for the mount and a polishing pad.
I've just gone to use my polisher and it's only working on two speeds, stop and flat out.

Attempting to buff wax by feathering the trigger and it's only working so well. Can't do the edges and panel joins because it flys like a helicopter and I need slow,.... I wished I'd grabbed that cheap DA now.