Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1 less Stato on the Road

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
My wife was driving my VSII Statesman last night and was in the middle of a 3 car sandwich on the freeway. She was fine, no airbags went off and she didn't wake up this morning with whiplash or anything else. So that's good news. Her car was hit in the rear and cannoned into the car in front. Towbar of the guy in front punctured her transmission cooler and brand new radiator. Front bumper,headlights, and freshly painted bonnet trashed. Bumper at rear was mangled, boot wouldn't open and driver's door was difficult to open. No photos because I haven't seen the car and don't know if I want to see it :cry:.

Got the news this morning that it's a writeoff :rip: , not sure if it's an economic or structural writeoff. Agreed value is $14k so it must be structural.

If anyone attends the auctions in Melbourne, keep your eye out for a 1996 V8 silver stato with 188,000 on the clock. Engine and transmission have never been pushed hard and would make a great conversion. Interior is impeccable as well.

Not sure what car to buy for her now. It will be a used car: VX to VY era but it could be anything from a dual-fuel V6 exec to another statesman. Won't be anything modified or wild so rule out SS and HSV. So within the confines of what models I've just said let's open the suggestion box. Tell me what I should get and why.

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
What about a Vt - Vy calais? V6 supercharged!! Nice family car with the power at your finger tips. All the mod cons. Soz to hear about the stato good luck with getting a new car

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
My wife was driving my VSII Statesman last night and was in the middle of a 3 car sandwich on the freeway. She was fine, no airbags went off and she didn't wake up this morning with whiplash or anything else. So that's good news. Her car was hit in the rear and cannoned into the car in front. Towbar of the guy in front punctured her transmission cooler and brand new radiator. Front bumper,headlights, and freshly painted bonnet trashed. Bumper at rear was mangled, boot wouldn't open and driver's door was difficult to open. No photos because I haven't seen the car and don't know if I want to see it :cry:.

Got the news this morning that it's a writeoff :rip: , not sure if it's an economic or structural writeoff. Agreed value is $14k so it must be structural.

If anyone attends the auctions in Melbourne, keep your eye out for a 1996 silver stato with 188,000 on the clock. Engine and transmission have never been pushed hard and would make a great conversion. Interior is impeccable as well.

Not sure what car to buy for her now. It will be a used car: VX to VY era but it could be anything from a dual-fuel V6 exec to another statesman. Won't be anything modified or wild so rule out SS and HSV. So within the confines of what models I've just said let's open the suggestion box. Tell me what I should get and why.

Always sad when a member of the family goes to the great caryard in the sky. Anyway, I reckon another stato, another WH would cost under 14 grand, you could have matching cruisers!

If you want something a little less barge like, then a VY exec with decent K's can be had for that money. Anyway, only way to know for sure what to get for the wife is to take her out shopping. ;)

CALAIS 6

snowballing
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz exec
sorry to hear bought the statesman how abouts a vt GTR theyre a 6 look the goods and are nice cars probably get a nice one from what u get back from the insurance

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I'd say stick with a good thing when your onto it... go the Stato again !!! Maybe a latter model WH++?? series ??

Easier for the wife to get accustomed to...safe as a Sherman tank as has just been proved with your old model. :thumbsup:

adam69

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Clubby
More important,im glad to hear your wife was not hurt.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
More important,im glad to hear your wife was not hurt.
Yeah that was the only good news. No whiplash whatsoever. She did see the car coming from behind at the last second so she was able to brace herself in time.

I spoke with the assessor and he confirmed it is an economic writeoff, or in his words "the meat in a metal sandwich". Damage came to about $12,000. Apparently the wreck will go for $3000 at auction. I'm glad we did agreed value all those years ago, we'll get nearly $15,000 back.

Leaning towards a VY Berlina V6 for the next car. I'd like to go a Calais but I can think of better ways to spend the extra $4000. Ruled out another V8 due to fuel/insurance costs and I'd never consider a V6 Stato - extra weight with only a V6 would make it a pig. I'd consider supercharged V6 but I've been doing research about gas conversions and not a common practice on the L67.

Last edited: