Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1 or 2 subs

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
Hi all.
Just a question regarding subs. would 2 subs say rated at 300wrms each sound better than 1 sub rated at 600wrms ? just after nice deep n low bass but not sure what to go with 1 sub or 2 subs :bang:
Oh either set up will be run from a mono block 600wrms @ 2 ohms
Thanks in advance

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
would an eb falcon sound better and a vp?
i dunno.
do you mean be louder or better SQ? you would "probably" have better SQ from a single sub because of it costing twice as much as the 2 others.
personally i would go for a single sub in a ported box because you want the lower end excursed more, and a sealed box will not provided that as well.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
It's a very subjective question this one and one that gets argued constantly. Say your willing to spend 'x' amount of dollars on either one good sub or perhaps two not so good subs then that cost is fixed. After that a few basic things to consider are how much room you want it to take up, how much more/less money and hassle it will be to have two subs instead of one (might not be much hassle at all) and whether you want 2 subs so it looks pretty but doesn't sound prett or a nigel sub that sounds pretty but doesn't look pretty (not to say that two won't sound just as good - as i said, very subjective).

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
i dont think its something argued about between people that know their **** at all. Its basically said that you'll get better sound from a single, more expensive sub than 2 more expensive ones. Assuming everything else is the same, the 2 subs will have twice the surface area and therefore twice the volume (an extra 3db) which isnt really worth it. Then the more expensive sub might have more excursion, etc etc

Agree with garfa on the sealed box for better low end excursion, try and get a sub well suited for ported boxes though

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
semi said:
i dont think its something argued about between people that know their **** at all. Its basically said that you'll get better sound from a single, more expensive sub than 2 more expensive ones. Assuming everything else is the same, the 2 subs will have twice the surface area and therefore twice the volume (an extra 3db) which isnt really worth it. Then the more expensive sub might have more excursion, etc etc

Agree with garfa on the sealed box for better low end excursion, try and get a sub well suited for ported boxes though

Well i still seem to see it discussed between people that 'know their ****', but hey that's just me, opinion each to their own.

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
try a nice DUAL Voice coil sub
no need for 2 unless your really silly or like the look of 2 subs ?
depending on set up if its going to be a show car or general usage ?

VS CALAIS

M6 VF SSV
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV 6spd Manual
troyjm310 said:
any suggestions / recommendations ? what would be better
Alpine type r 12"
mtx 7500 series 12"
kicker comp vr 12"
any others in that price range ??
any help would be great

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
troyjm310 said:

Why a DVC sub? It doesnt make them sound any better

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
VS CALAIS said:
any suggestions / recommendations ? what would be better
Alpine type r 12"
mtx 7500 series 12"
kicker comp vr 12"
any others in that price range ??
any help would be great
i like the sound of the alpine personally, the type r are quite powerfull and give quite a clear sound, but i also havent taken that much notice of how the other 2 that u r thinking about sound

1 type r would be just as powerfull as my 2 clarion subs (375w each) and give much better quality, but that also depends on how much u want 2 spend, i didnt have a big budget so i got cheaper subs (hence clarion, not usually a clarion fan) i also went 4 the 2 subs for looks aswell, most of my problem with sound quality is having 2 6x9's in the parcel shelf, turn them off and it sounds much clearer, but also a lot less powerfull so i keep them on, when i get an amp 4 them though i will setup a crossover so they arent playing so much bass

troyjm310

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Sportwagon SV6 Z Series
semi said:
Why a DVC sub? It doesnt make them sound any better

Post deleted due to copyright

Last edited by a moderator: