Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] 10.1:1 pistons requires 98 RON?

Taranaki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
I got a low-mileage Ecotec from a VY. Was thinking about increasing compression ratio.
Would 10.1 get by on 95 RON, or would 98 be needed?
That is assuming no tweaking the engine map to reduce spark advance....

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Team it up with a large enough cam and a a tune you might get away with 95.a custom intake without such long skinney runners to stop the huge ram effect at certain rpm ranges would probably help too.speedway guys here use the l67 manifold for n/a it flows far better than the ecotec one

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Are you doing anything else?

Taranaki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
Are you doing anything else?
Maybe, I will do one thing at a time. Probably air intake and exhaust as well. I don't know about high-ratio rockers; whether they might clash with high-compression pistons.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Maybe, I will do one thing at a time. Probably air intake and exhaust as well. I don't know about high-ratio rockers; whether they might clash with high-compression pistons.

If that's all you're doing don't bother with compression, this isn't the days of carby engines. Not to mention, changing the compression (and going to all the effort of stripping the engine down to do so) without actually remapping is doing half the job as you're not really reaching the engines potential and it will likely retard anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe, I will do one thing at a time. Probably air intake and exhaust as well. QUOTE]

If you go CAI, go Mace they are the best. It's on my list, was hoping later this year but it might be Jan 2019 now. Unfortunately wife and the girls want Christmas presents as does the grand daughter...:(