Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

10 farad cap.

lion_g

LionG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive Series II 3.8/V6
hey all i got a 99 vt commodore running a 500 watt mono block option audio amp, with 2 12" rampage subs possibly going to change the subs to option audio subs soon.

my car is having a bit of trouble rolling over when the head unit is connect up possibly because of the amp?
also the lights dim at night..i was thinking of buying a cap i can get 1 farad ones in town for about 95$ but then again on ebay i can buy a 10 farad boss audio ones for $115..
will there be any downs sides to having such a big cap?
im thinking of adding another any for some speakers in the future.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You car has serious electrical issues if you are getting light dimming with 500w of bass. A cap will not fix this or do anything for that matter.

SuperSixty6

Alto Rullo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Landcruiser TD
You car has serious electrical issues if you are getting light dimming with 500w of bass. A cap will not fix this or do anything for that matter.

You are usually on the money champ, But this is a bit misleading...

There is obviously a problem with your Electrical, When you find the problem there will be a solution. Caps aren't that great, The only reason i have them is too look pretty. I could only imagine how useless Boss ones would be.

What condition is your battery in ? Alternator ?

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
look at your battery, chances are it's on it's way out... next suspect would be connections to battery and/quality of earth to chassis from battery.
Failing that, i'd be looking at connections to the starter motor itself.
A cap would not fix or help your starting issue...
Cap will only aid in quick and large fluctuations in supply PAST the cap in a more regulated manner, thus it would reduce the 'dimming' of your lights..

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Apologies for hijacking the thread but ive got a 1000w mono running 3 subs and a 400w running all the speakers. All sounds good just when it gets fairly loud the lights start to dim a little. Thats not an electrical problem is it? Will a cap help with that?

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Apologies for hijacking the thread but ive got a 1000w mono running 3 subs and a 400w running all the speakers. All sounds good just when it gets fairly loud the lights start to dim a little. Thats not an electrical problem is it? Will a cap help with that?

Elec problem, first step upgrade the grounds off ur battery to thicker cable, 2guage is more than enough for 1000w
Cap wont help

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Cap won't help? That's exactly what they do, reduce voltage fluctuations which the visible symptom is dimming.

It is best to ensure your whole power supply uses sufficient sized wire, meaning power from alternator to battery, battery to amplifier, ground from battery to chassis, battery to engine block, chassis to amplifier. If that is all done and you still have dimming, a capacitor is cheapest option after that. Don't even try to say a battery as the dimming is the supply dropping from alternator charge voltage down to battery voltage, so a battery cannot fix that. A good battery can stop it from dropping below 12-12.5v, but by then your lights have already dimmed.

[edit] This is not in reply to the original poster. He clearly has an electrical issue. My information is for someone with a healthy electrical system.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Cap won't help? That's exactly what they do, reduce voltage fluctuations which the visible symptom is dimming.

It is best to ensure your whole power supply uses sufficient sized wire, meaning power from alternator to battery, battery to amplifier, ground from battery to chassis, battery to engine block, chassis to amplifier. If that is all done and you still have dimming, a capacitor is cheapest option after that. Don't even try to say a battery as the dimming is the supply dropping from alternator charge voltage down to battery voltage, so a battery cannot fix that. A good battery can stop it from dropping below 12-12.5v, but by then your lights have already dimmed.

[edit] This is not in reply to the original poster. He clearly has an electrical issue. My information is for someone with a healthy electrical system.

We all acknowledge the function of a cap, as previously stated, however it (a cap) will in no way ever ever fix a car having trouble turning over...

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I still want to know whats wrong with the OPs car if he has dimming with a max of 50amps being pulled. Probably a lot less since its a 500 watt amp, more likely 100-200wrms. Especially since the OP has a VT which has the 100amp Bosch unit.

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
I was replying to the post directly above mine, which generally doesn't require you to quote their post for normal people to understand what my post is about... But I did add the disclaimer at the end for retards who don't understand that concept.

So glad you cleared that point up..