Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$1000-$2000 What to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDG

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
None
Awkward but I must preference this by saying I know nothing about cars, absolutely nothing however I need a car that can:

-Drive me around my suburb a series of 10 minute drives here and there including 5 minutes to the train station daily
-The off 1-2 trip to the other side of town to see relatives (once a month maybe)

I have about $1500. Can you suggest me any model numbers or years I should be specifically looking for. Which commodores age the best? Most of what I am seeing has 250k up which means they only really have 20k left.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just need a car and I am not saving or paying a forture. I notice there are lots of Commodores out there and thought maybe thius will help me find a deal. Also they are Australian made?

Unrelated:
But does anyone else like Commodores except for Australians
And does GM being the parent company mean it's a bit like Vegemite...iconic Australian but secretly owned by America?

Danielzke

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commy
If you really want a commy you'll probably find a clean VR/VS for that price, if possible go for the VS (better engine, ecotec) and you'll probably see a few VTs for that price but they'll be rough

Just don't jump into it, take your time and you'll find a nice car, if the engine is looked after 250k is nothing, avg for the age of the car, I've got 220ish now on a VY and it drives great, not problems for the 15k I've put on it, dad had a VR from 150k to 450k and sold it, still ran good with no major problems

Good luck with your search !

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Plenty of rockets out there.
Probably a 15 to 20 year old Corolla with RWC might be best for you. If you really do know nothing about cars, have the RWC mechanic give you a report on it as how much life it has left in it, or what needs to be bought up to scratch.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I doubt you'll get a commodore with a rwc for $2k you might buy 1 for $2k but you'll still have to get it roadworthy and pay rego what ever you buy for $2k won't have much rego on it. Save up another grand. It seams alot harder for an owner to get a RWC than what I see car yards letting pass.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Right, so you'll only have a grand or so to spend on the car but you don't say anything about having cash for when it will inevitably break down. Cheap commodores are cheap for a reason. My first car was a VN/Lexcen, first week i had it the water pump went, two months later the steering rack had to be replaced. All this on a car that looked mint and passed RWC. Whoever said buy a bike is probably right.

JohnDG

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
None
So there is a ton of commodores available for resale because they are **** then :S?

Status
Not open for further replies.