Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$1000 to spend on my VE SSV exhaust - what to buy?

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
I'm sure exhaust systems for SS Commodores have been discussed endlessly here and I've read a lot of posts about different exhaust mods to make the MY12 SSV sound like a real V8, but if I only have $1000 to spend and want to get a good note with minimum drone (sedan) what's the best way to spend $1000?

Ideally I guess I'd like to add headers and a good cat system but I don't think I can do all that for $1000. Also have to allow some money to retune it I expect?

Despite using terms like these, I don't really speak exhaust systems so suggestions in simple language would be good for me.

Should add that mine's a manual, not an AFM.

Last edited:

Sphector89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 Vx Berlina
Won't get much for $1k sorry mate, headers alone will be $600+ for quality ones, a mild steel cat back will be $700ish, stainless $1k+ and cats around $300-$500 range and that doesn't include fitment. You might be able to find a second hand system but I don't know how much they will be. No point re tuning it after an exhaust, tune it when you get an OTR CAI or a Cam

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Unless you are going to go X-Force or second hand there isn't much you can do for $1000. I cant recommend X-Force, Mine was fine at first but as it has carboned up it has started to drone badly and i get a vibration/rattle once the exhaust heats up. I would save up and buy something decent like a KPM.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Replace the mid muffler with straight through pipes for $100. Save the $900 for a real system down the track.

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
Thought as much. There are systems around for under $1000 but not much known about them (e.g. Mars). I must say I had given some thought to removing the mid mufflers but I thought I'd need to fit an x-pipe or similar to reduce drone. How does it work with straight through pipes? Surely the cheapest option.

The other thought I had was just spending the money on headers or extractors and leaving the system as is for now (with mods of course to mate them up). Anyone done that?

This is my first V8 since the mid-80s. In those days I always did my own exhaust mods and was able to get some good results. These new beasts are a bit more complicated.

One thing in my favour ... my wife is a bigger hoon than me and wants the nice note from the SSV as much as I do. She drives it more than me anyway.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
After a wave of recommendations in a previous thread I went to Rob Bliss and got one of their custom Magnaflow systems on my VXII Clubby, only a little over your budget @ $1400ish. That was high flow 100Cel cats and all the rest 2.5" minus extractors fitted. Sounds absolutely mint, might go back for extractors at a later date but the HSV ones seem to do the job well enough.

I fully recommend just talking to them they are awesome guys and well, they know exhausts.

Rob Bliss Exhausts

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
+1 as above, Rob Bliss did all the technical work on my custom exhaust and totally recommend the shop. He's been into hot rods and racing since the time I got my P's, got some outstanding stuff from there over the years. Explain your current budget and he can suggest an ideal plan for a full system down the track.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Do your headers (headers are where the power is ;) ) and put freer flowing centre and rear mufflers on, then tune.

Or just replace the backs pipes with these bolt on hotdogs or straights if you want rumble

$_57.JPG

$_12.JPG

DAZVFV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I went through the same and ended up with the Ultrex system...I had $1000 to spend and of what Ive read the Ultrex system is very good for the money but as you may know in the 3" Ultrex thread thats going at the momment I have had an issue with my new system but its getting replaced so I will let you know how the new one go's. My other options were a Manta 2.5" with centre muffler for $1200 or I was keen on the Magnaflow twin 2.5" for $1500 (part number #15290) their new system...but at $950 for the 3" Ultrex in stainless I thought its worth a shot....time will tell If it pays off :)

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
I've spoken harshly to she who hoons and explained the many and varied benefits of replacing the whole system end to end. I think she agrees now we need to spend up to $2500. The Magnaflow system sounds good.

Should I just be using their headers? Or going all the way to extractors? We always went with extractors in "the day" but not so sure they make that much difference over good headers in modern V8s.

Guess they do both 2.5" and 3" systems? What's the benefit of 3 over 2.5? I'd guess the note is deeper and a bit louder, but are there significant performance benefits as well?

Assuming I do have $2500 to spend now, what's going to give me the best outcomes for my SS-V sedan?