Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$1000 to spend on my VE SSV exhaust - what to buy?

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Guess they do both 2.5" and 3" systems? What's the benefit of 3 over 2.5? I'd guess the note is deeper and a bit louder, but are there significant performance benefits as well?

3" sounds great IMO however its more likely to drone, it's generally got no performance benefits unless you have a cam, forced induction or a LS3 motor. For a daily or street car a 2 1/2" is preferred.

When aftermarket headers/extractors are used you get a better a deeper note anyway from a 2 1/2" system

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
$1000 set of Wildcat headers with hi-flow cats. Forget Magnaflow headers.
$750 set of Xforce 2.5" catback. 3" is retrograde, ridiculous, not louder.
$750 custom dyno tune and you'll have the bite to match the bark.

It is not the fanciest but has ideal headers and HFC at good price, catback (loud, med or low model option) has built-in x-pipe, and free flowing (loud) rear silencers. Being manual drone is no issue so yeah, tune it up and it'll sound pretty much like this:

[video=youtube_share;7hhU4TmcOo8]http://youtu.be/7hhU4TmcOo8[/video]

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
Anyone familiar with the Hurricane system? Extractors, cats, twin 2.5" system? Holden Commodore VE V8 6 0LT Hurricane Extractors Cats Twin 2 5" Exhaust | eBay

Not sure I want to go this way because the cost seems quite high just for a system and have to still get someone to fit it (i don't crawl around under cars any more). But it's an option. Mild steel system certainly has downsides compared to stainless.

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
Where did you get this from? What was the performance impact? I presume from the pic that yours is a Maloo?

Have you come close to your fuel saving goal yet? My brother-in-law fitted a straight-through system to his CV8 and gets below 9L/100KM now. But it's VERY loud.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Should I just be using their headers? Or going all the way to extractors? We always went with extractors in "the day" but not so sure they make that much difference over good headers in modern V8s.

Umm... headers and extractors are two terms for the same thing!

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
reverse headers ... 90deg bends out the guards... that should just about be loud enough ;)

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
Sorry if I'm not getting my terminologies quite right. In my era, headers were like an integrated one-piece manifold (shorter than extractors). Or at least I thought they were :)

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Anyone familiar with the Hurricane system? Extractors, cats, twin 2.5" system? Holden Commodore VE V8 6 0LT Hurricane Extractors Cats Twin 2 5" Exhaust | eBay

Not sure I want to go this way because the cost seems quite high just for a system and have to still get someone to fit it (i don't crawl around under cars any more). But it's an option. Mild steel system certainly has downsides compared to stainless.

That system is fine, not as well suited to the car as the Wildcats though. $500 more too.

Where did you get this from? What was the performance impact? I presume from the pic that yours is a Maloo?

The car in the video is mine, 6.0 same as yours, and I'm that handsome fella cursing at the start! With the Wildcats, HFC and Xforce 2.5" system I mentioned, you can expect more outright power than a stock VE GTS and a hella more acceleration and drivability riding the torque improvement at lower RPM, when tuned.

Have you come close to your fuel saving goal yet? My brother-in-law fitted a straight-through system to his CV8 and gets below 9L/100KM now. But it's VERY loud.

Yeah it takes a bit of planning to get the final setup right, set of adjustable rear silencers make a huge difference.

No not yet at 10¢, but close. Using the Gen V LT1 as a benchmark, it's been interesting to explore the ragged edge of combustion phasing with a wideband controller and MacBook on an LS - low temperature, high compression, injector timing, valve events, etc. I think it's possible to get below 7L/100KM combined.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Sorry if I'm not getting my terminologies quite right. In my era, headers were like an integrated one-piece manifold (shorter than extractors). Or at least I thought they were :)

I think you are confusing exhaust manifold and headers/extractors - either way it's just terminology and I'm sure everyone knew what you meant.

tgilbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV sedan
Too kind mpower. I'm stretching my memory back several decades since I last modified an exhaust system! Doesn't make me want to do it any less though.