Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12" and 15" sub together

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
;) Im just wondering if it is a good idea to put a 12" and a 15" sub in the same box, will it produce the same sound or will it stuff up. Im also running them in parallel on a single channel high powered amp
Should a vent it with pipe or not and how long should the pipe be :b:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
It'd probably sound good, being a 12" and a 15" you'll get a shitload no matter what its in. But it won't be working too efficiently. Each sub has its own specs to get optimum bass.

It'd be a strange setup, with a 15 AND a 12.. I've heard of 10's and a 15, to get tight punchy and long low.. hmm..

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
A 12 and a 15 in the same box? You'll have to watch out that there is enough air getting into the box for the 15 and the 12. It might sound alright as, depending on what brands/specs the 2 are, the 15 will pack the puch while the 12 will have that bounce feel/quicker response. In my car at the moment l have two 10"s and l wouldn't want any more, they're perfectly setup to rattle the **** out of my car :D!!

Make sure u post a pic once they're installed.

Tony2

Reaction score
The two different size drivers will have different characteristics and therefore require different box volumes to have them tuned correctly. You could put them in the same box but with a partition dividing the box into two enclosures. As for vented or not, vented gives more volume but sealed gives a tighter punchy bass. The length and diameter of the vent is important and is usually specified by the manufacturer. If you have 2 different subs each in their own enclosure then you would need a port on each one of a different length/diameter.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
i went into auto barn and the guy said that it will work if i + the volumes of both the 12" and the 15" and build the box without a divider to the double volume, it should still work
Any sugestions would be great

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
That pretty much goes against what we've just said. Bloody autobarn.. was this a stereo installer dude or just a show room floor guy.

Each sub has its own specific measurements that it'd like its box to be, I mean, you don't have to stick to it, but if you keep the volume it asks for its going to sound a million times better then a box thats not made for it.

So I still say that you (if you have the subs already) look them up on the net and even send the manufacturer an email. In fact on the net there should even be technical information on the subs that tell you the Volume of the enclosure, and get the box built up to take the two sizes, with the partition. I'm sure it could be done by moving the partition closer to the 12 etc.

I'm not saying his idea wouldn't work. I'm just saying that if you want the benefits of long slow bass, and tighter punchier bass your going to have to do the subs the way they recommend.

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
the 12 is an alpine r type and i know the specs for that but i got the 15 off a mate and have no idea about the specs, its a 15'' US Audio and im pretty sure its around a 1999 - 2000 model because it looks old but apparently works like new.
ive looked all over the net but found nothing on US Audio

The auto barn guy is the owner of the shop and is about 45 - 48

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
I solved it, i just bought the other 15 inch plus the box so i have no problem, i installed it yesterday. Now ive got 2 15 Inch subs not a 15 and a 12.
Ill take a photo of it and post it

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
Sounds good, can't wait for the photos....what did you do with the 12 inch?