Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12" sub (Jaycar) install into VZ 'S' Ute

V

vprsvmille

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this forum but would like to start sharing my little project. After asking around and searching for info, it appeared that I could only fit a 10" sub into my VZ ute -> either behind one of the seats or in the space next to the fuel tank under the tray. I already had a 12" carbon fibre response subwoofer from Jaycar and didn't want to fork out more money for a 10". So I bit the bullet and started measuring the space next to the fuel tank. I had heard that subs mounted in that cavity sounded quite good once the sound filtered through the three air-vents and into the cabin.

Anyway, it turns out that I can fit the 12" sub and have already cut and assembled the box to suit. The box is about 27Lt in volume and will be heavily stuffed to make the internals appear accoustically bigger.

I will be taking photos (over the next few days) of the unit and try to provide a basic guide of what I have done. If all goes well, it should be up and running by the end of the weekend.

Cheers

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
Cant wait to see how you have overcomed the dilema..

V

vprsvmille

Update 01

Hi People,

It's not finished yet. I'm still waterproofing the box. I'm varnishing it with marine grade varnish. Probably overkill (ie it'll probably survive being dragged through the bottom of the ocean). I put the last coat on this morning. It's not the prettiest looking box but it's solid.

Anyway, pics and drawings coming soon.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
One of my head-unit mod customers whacked a 12" sub in the space near the fuel tank in his VY SS ute - kicks bottom too!! (although he did have a bloke custom build the box for him)

Cheerz!

V

vprsvmille

Update 02

G'day All,

Here's some piccies of the box I made. All up cost of about $55 including 18mm MDF and about 10 cuts (I get Bunnings to cut the material because it's about $2 per cut and the cuts are perfect -> best of all, I don't have to do it!).

Anyway, it's not the best looking box, but I don't care cos it's going to be hidden under the tray. I glued the whole thing together and only used chip-board screws to hold it while the glue dried. The odd colour of the material is due to the several coats of marine grade varnish.

The extra pieces of MDF on the sides are set at the right height so that the box sits firmly in the tray without wobbling around. The ring is going to be used to clamp the subwoofer in place. Hopefully, I will be installing driver tonight and fitting into vehicle.

Cheers

Attachments

• 06_BoxRight.jpg
    06_BoxRight.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,147
  • 08_BoxBottom.jpg
    08_BoxBottom.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 970
  • 09_BoxTop.jpg
    09_BoxTop.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,402
  • 07_DriverClamp.jpg
    07_DriverClamp.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,188

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Good job! (looks a bit "home brew", but you buy a TV to LOOK at, huh??) ;) You certainly shouldn't have any problems with leaks.

Good to see you used T-nuts for mounting the driver too - so many just drive screws into the wood, then wonder why the driver rattles loose!

Well done Mate. Let's know how it sounds!

V

vprsvmille

Yeah I went crazy with the glue. I guess if I really wanted to, I could rub the whole box down and give it a nice automotive style finish. I'll work on the sound first.

T-nuts also allows you to remove and re-install the sub many times without damaging the threads - unlike self-tapping chip-board screws.

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
prolly a bit l8 now but ive seen people that have cut out a hole in the wall behind the seats and just mounted it there. dunno how the cops would take it though.

V

vprsvmille

Hey tukrbox,

I may like to cut cheese, but I certainly aint no BUTCHER.

Besides, being a structural part of the vehicle, I think the cops won't be the only ones to not like it. Think of your insurance being void and also that your car will probably be considered to be un-roadworthy (ADR), hence illegal to drive etc etc. You get the picture......

Cheers

V

vprsvmille

Update 03

Well, I went full steam ahead last night and fitted the speaker to the box and fitted the box to the ute. After a bit of mucking around with gain settings and crossover cutoffs, I got what I wanted.

All I can say is wow! I put it through it's paces with both electronic and rock music. It sounds just as loud on the outside as it does on the inside of the car. Not sure what this means (in terms of how its performing) but I like it. My front JVC splits are now doing what they do best and that's reproduce a great mid-range stage up front and the sub fills in the lows in a very seemless way. I cannot tell that there is a subwoofer behind me which is exactly what I was looking for (or hearing for should I say).

I haven't quite assessed if there is any boominess (I haven't noticed anything that stood out), I guess what I might do is make an audio test cd to test the range of frequencies and then measure the sound level in car. This will give me a basic frequency plot.

So in a nutshell, you can fit a 12" sub (the Jaycar response brand at least) into the fuel tank cavity in a VZ ute. This was purely a try it and see what happens type of project and overall, I'm very happy with the results. The amp running the sub is a 4-channel Prestige amp (rated at 300W max, and I think it's at 50W rms per channel). Two channels run JVC splits and the other two are bridged to run the 12" sub. I get more than enough audible volume and very clean sound.

If anyones interested, I have the drawings for the box dimensions. The box comes out to be 27Lt and is made from 18mm MDF.

Cheers