Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12" sub (Jaycar) install into VZ 'S' Ute

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Good on ya vprsvmille! :thumbsup:

Seems you put a lot of thought and effort into it, so it's great that you're pleased with the results.

Makes it all worthwhile, huh?

Cheerz!

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
is it possible to get a pic of what it looks like installed, is it flush mounted to the tray or does it stick up at all?? there is so much do this do that, dont do that regarding cars, really its all a matter of opinion, budget, and listening or veiwing pleasure, every body is different and has different listening or veiwing requirement.

My two cents

V

vprsvmille

Yep sure. If I can't get it tomorrow, I'll have some pics early next week. (off to the MotoGP so won't be near a puter for the weekend).

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
howdy,

i dont mean to rain on anyones parade, and i'm all for custom sub boxes n all... but I know a bloke who picked up a sub box for his 12" sub from auto barn. I'm headin out to find me one.

They're at about the $120 mark, but i'm more likely to stuff up making one.

cheers

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
which 12" jaycar sub did you end up getting. there is a couple of different ones

V

vprsvmille

12" carbon fibre response subwoofer.

If Jaycar's newer subwoofers can deal with the smaller box volume (ie 27Lt), then they're probably be a better option. Mine was already lying around hence the reason I used it.

I'm such a lazy @ss! I'll put some pics up soon.

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hiya vprs....

Tell ya what - I have the parameters for the 12" CF Jaycar jobby in my box modelling program. I'll run a projection based on a 27L box, and let you know.

Watch this space....

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Here ya go.

My modelling proggy came up with 35.3 litres as the optimum sealed volume, with a -3dB frequency of 51 Hz.

With a 27L box it came out at 52Hz, and I've attached the gain plot from the program output - no nasty peaks or anything, so it shouldn't be noticeably boomy.

I wouldn't worry about going TOO nuts with the stuffing material in the box - sure some will help, but there is such a thing as "over-damping" an enclosure too. Given that the difference in box volume only sacrifices your bottom end by a measly 1Hz, it should be cool.

Cheerz!

Attachments

• 12CF-27L.jpg
    12CF-27L.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 585

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Phreddy said:
I wouldn't worry about going TOO nuts with the stuffing material in the box - sure some will help, but there is such a thing as "over-damping" an enclosure too. Given that the difference in box volume only sacrifices your bottom end by a measly 1Hz, it should be cool.

Cheerz!

I thought the idea behind the stuffing was to absorb engergy from the wave comming off the back of the speaker to reduce any cancellation effects? how can this be over damped?