Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

~$12k on a car

alex2_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Sedan Auto
Got in the 11 - 13k bracket to spend on a new (2nd hand) car... thoughts anyone? Upgrading from a (fairly stock) VS Acclaim... I'm thinking VY Berlina or something like that, although open to all considerations not just commodores even. Can't be more than 6 cylinders (P plater restrictions).

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
could get ur self a vz exec for that cash, that means alloytec. yay

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Another vote for a VZ of some variety (probably exec) since you're limiting yourself to a 6 cylinder, means you're getting the Alloytech (VZ/VE/VF) instead of the ECOTEC (VS/VT/VX/VY). There's two versions though I think the high output 190kw version exceeds the power to weight ratio allowed for P platers anyway (could be wrong).

It's a sliding scale of age versus luxuries...
VZ Executive
VY Berlina
VT/VX Calais
VS Statesman Caprice

In fords... BA has 182kw, BF has 190kw (high output I6 non turbo versions). Many will argue the ford I6 is better than the ECOTEC, others will strongly disagree

EDIT: Just buy 3 VS executives, when one breaks move onto the next, you'll have years worth of cars :p

Last edited:

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
i recon even tought you could get a newer car, getting a older but more special car would be better. Something falling into the statesman / calais / hsv section of older models, somethign to stand out and not Blend in...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I'll stand on a limb and say AU XR6 VCT (with irs) :D, You'll get a mint one for way under budget and you wont find a faster/better handling car in the later Commodores. Just check it out on all the seems for rust to make sure its a good one, The XR6 has a verrrrry impressive IRS in the rear end

Something like this

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-car...teTime|1&distance=25&Cr=0&__Ntt=xr6&trecs=136

Not sure what the BAs are worth now but they are worth a look too

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
i'll stand on a limb and say au xr6 :d, you'll get a mint one for way under budget and you wont find a faster/better handling car in the later commodores. Just check it out on all the seems for rust to make sure its a good one, the xr6 has a verrrrry impressive irs in the rear end

traitor! :(

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i have to agree if your looking at a 6cyl fords tend to have it all over commodores if you prefer to drive a commodore and wouldnt be seen dead in a ford get one. If you want a good late model 6cyl car get a ford

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
I'll stand on a limb and say AU XR6 VCT (with irs) :D

of all the fords... an AU? even the ford that ford lovers are embarassed of? lol :p

I'd say a VY II Berlina (looks better exterior wise, fog lamps, chrome numberplate surround, imo better looking wheels)

should be able to find a nice one for that price.

Oh.. if its what your looking for... I've seen 2 WH (2000) V8's (one statesman, one caprice) for around the 10,000 mark.. with acceptable kms

*Edit* sorry... i just read the bit about 6 cyl max :( well... i guess that example just goes to show that WH's (V6's) will also be in your price range

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
If you want a V8 get a Holden
If you want a I6 get a Ford

Since OP needs a 6 then he should get the ford