Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12mm or 25mm spacer for vz

Discussion in 'Mace Engineering' started by TAILS83, Oct 29, 2013.

1. TAILS83

TAILS83 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS
    What is the best manifold insulator spacer to go on a VZ alloytech. 12mm or 25mm, what would the difference be.

Only done the 2 hole mod so far, don't plan to change this, I like the idea of a stock paper filter, cheap and won't clog up or dirty the MAF.

Future Plans are full twin 2.25in exhaust with extractors and cats. 3.45 diff gears and tune. If there are any other mods you can suggest to.

cams, CPR6 or forced induction are not on the cards at all for this car.

So what would be the best insulator to go.

Cheers Luke.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  2. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    Hey Luke , for the VZ , I think only the 12mm spacer is available , you'll get a cooler intake charge , which should equate to a bit more power , check out Mace Engineerings site , who are a member and sponsor here .
    Cheers 665

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

3. Kiddo

Kiddo You're serious bro?!

Members Ride:
    Mitsubishi Colt
    Correct, this will cool the intake manifold alittle, but not to the levels some people assume. The ambient temp is a big factor.

What you WILL feel though is an increase in your lower rpm range. The 12mm spacer increases the runner length, which is good for lower end power. The opposite can be said for shorter runners.

4. TAILS83

TAILS83 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS
  5. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    If they are like 25mm ones for the Ecotec , they work better on a forced induction set up , as on a N/A they loose some throttle response , in regards to keeping the intake cooler , absolutely ambient temps play a part , but even with just a Mace CAI , intake on my SV6 stays cool most of the time .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  6. Jakevz

Jakevz New Member

I Just bought the 25mm insulator for my VZ, Very curious to see the difference it makes!

7. xSV666x

xSV666x New Member

Members Ride:
    07 vz sv6 ute 6sp manual
    So.... *jakevz* How did they go?? I've got the 25mm spacers and wen I put them in I changed my spark plugs (was around 110,000k's so needed doin soon anyway) and already had a mace pod box installed and I noticed some better power around the 2000-2800k mark and now can drive my ute for like 1.5 hours or so turn it off, pop the bonnet, hop out and can not only touch the manifold I can leave my hands on it for pretty much ever lol some days it gets hotter don't get me wrong but could NEVA touch it before the 25mm spacers were installed :) unless it was a short drive etc... just my 2 cents, hope it helps some1, thanks again mace! still loving ur products!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  8. Jakevz

Jakevz New Member

Forgot i posted in this ! Hahah, They're awesome. I noticed alot more go. Planting my foot off the line is awesome now, i feel like it actually goes somewhere.
    The manifold also stays really cool, don't have a problem with touching it after a long drive.
    Loving it.

9. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

Sorry for the late reply.

We would recommend the 25MM over the 12MM on the Alloytec specifically in regards to greater torque gains down low, roughly another 3-4%. You will not be able to fit your standard engine covers back on with the larger manifold insulators either. With the 25MM a slight decrease in top end power may result. However this is well worth it when you consider the added benefits of going with a larger spacer. As far as throttle lag is concerned there will not be a problem with either the 12MM or 25MM.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards

Allen

10. TAILS83

TAILS83 New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS
    I just bought some 12mm ones, wish I had of read the previous post first, just have to find time to install and see how it performs.

Just put a twin 2.25in cat back exhaust and SS inductions growler kit on this morning, hoping this combination should make it go a bit better.

11. Group C

Group C Member

Members Ride:
    Vz sv6
    Hi Allen.
    I have been looking at your site and am abit confused,the manifold spacer advertised for VZ 12mm shows a pic of a plenum spacer.. I am looking at getting these spacers,would you recommend manifold and or plenum,or when you stat manifold do you mean plenum,also with a fatory strut brace will 12 mm plenum and 12mm manifold still fit under strut brace,also will standard engine covers still fit as would like to keep looking factory

12. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Hi Group C

Thanks for your query.

"I have been looking at your site and am abit confused,the manifold spacer advertised for VZ 12mm shows a pic of a plenum spacer.. I am looking at getting these spacers,would you recommend manifold and or plenum,or when you stat manifold do you mean plenum"

If you have an Alloytec / LY7 both of the manifold insulators below will work fine.

12MM VZ -VE COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR ALLOYTEC
    12MM VZ -VE COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR ALLOYTEC - Mace Engineering Group

25MM VZ -VE COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR ALLOYTEC
    25MM VZ -VE COLD AIR INTAKE MANIFOLD INSULATOR ALLOYTEC - Mace Engineering Group

"also with a fatory strut brace will 12 mm plenum and 12mm manifold still fit under strut brace,also will standard engine covers still fit as would like to keep looking factory"

There is no plenum spacer available for the Alloytec. Only the Ecotec and LLT SIDI motors in the Holden range have plenum spacers available.
    It is very likely that the strut brace will fit back on with the 12MM insulator, however to be completely sure you would be required to measure the smallest gap between the manifold and the brace to be sure.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards

Allen

13. Group C

Group C Member

Members Ride:
    Vz sv6
    Thank you for replying to my enquiries.. I have the Alloytec 175kw engine,on compliance plate says engine LE-O??? is that the LY-7 reference you were saying it is?? I have room of minimum 22mm below strut brace,will standard engine covers still fit on..thanks I will be ordering as soon as I hear back..

Cheers Ray

14. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Hi Ray

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, LEO is the 175kw version of the Alloytec. I would not recommend fitting the 25MM set due to clearance. The 12MM set will be adequate in this case. This will work fine with your setup.

If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,

Allen

15. Group C

Group C Member

Members Ride:
    Vz sv6
    Can you still run standard engine covers with the 12mm spacer

16. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Hi Group C,
    Thank you for your enquiry:
    "Can you still run standard engine covers with the 12mm spacers"
    Yes you can.
    If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,

Allen

17. Group C

Group C Member

Members Ride:
    Vz sv6
    Thanks Allen for all your help have just ordered a set of 12mm look forward to seeing the difference

18. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Hi Groupc

"Thanks Allen for all your help have just ordered a set of 12mm look forward to seeing the difference"

No worries.

Happy to help :)

Kind regards

Allen

19. Group C

Group C Member

Members Ride:
    Vz sv6
    Just a follow up I received the 12m spacers and fitted them today, could feel difference in torque gain down low straight away, Also temp on inlet manifold was a lot cooler, before spacer being fitted was only just able to hold hand on it without burning, After spacer it is only just warm after same distance drive(giving it some curry in second drive) Only problem I had fitting them was the instruction diagram on mace page is incorrect, in regards to the 6 bolts to undo, The mace pdf shows undoing the front bolts,where as you need to undo passanger side front and driver side rear, this did hold me up a little but very happy with product although shipping was very slow(2 weeks) and needed a phone call from me to sort out...

Thanks allen for your advice in here and the product

20. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    I've kind of been toying about getting some as well , I see you have a VZ SV6 as well , so you would recommend them then ?? , and you obviously felt a difference in torque , which I've thought the SV6 has plenty , but the spacers must make a bit more .