Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12v power from roof?

dav0j

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi guys. I'm looking to install a dash cam at the top of my windscreen and was wanting to minimise any cords being exposed.

I was wondering if anyone has found any power source from the roof? I pulled out my sunglasses holder on the weekend under the assumption I'd be able to find a live 12v power source and that I'd wire up the dash cam charger with a dedicated fuse.

When I removed the sunglasses holder, I used a mulimeter to try pick up 12v from the interior lights cable, but from the plug that was available, I was only picking up 0.01v so i believe that is a trigger wire (as they are linked with the rear interior lights). - I'll post pics if anyone needs me to show this

Not sure if I'm making any sense right now but would be keen if anyone has tried something similar.

VFSSVUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Commodore Ute
Do you have a ute or a sedan mate?

I have a ssv ute and i have hard wired my radar detector and dash cam and they sit at the top orlf the windscreen. What i ended up doing was poking and running a cable along the roof linning near the windscreen then down The A piller back to the battery behind the passenger seat in the ute. The way i connected it in was with a fuse wre tap and found the right spot to put it in. Becareful though because there are. A lot of fuses that are constant power and dont shut down so you will need to use a test light to make.sure it.only turns on when the accesories are on.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i ran my dash cam cable through the roof to the pessenger side A piller down behind the glovebox to the 12v accessory port, i installed a second accessory port to the wire that goes to the factory accessory port and tucked it behind the dash under the mylink unit
this way the factory accessory port is free for phone charger and the dash cam cables are totally hidden

dav0j

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Do you have a ute or a sedan mate?

I have a ssv ute and i have hard wired my radar detector and dash cam and they sit at the top orlf the windscreen. What i ended up doing was poking and running a cable along the roof linning near the windscreen then down The A piller back to the battery behind the passenger seat in the ute. The way i connected it in was with a fuse wre tap and found the right spot to put it in. Becareful though because there are. A lot of fuses that are constant power and dont shut down so you will need to use a test light to make.sure it.only turns on when the accesories are on.

hi mate. ive got a sedan. i was thinking about running the wire through the pillars but was a bit cautious that i'd end up hitting into the air bag and not being able to get through.

VFSSVUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Commodore Ute
Use the rubber seal on tye door and pyt it behind there mate. Il see if i can get a photo to help tomorrow for you mate

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Mate if you are after constant 12v hook into the orange wire.

12vOverHead.JPG

But like VFSSUTE implied, you may want acc power unless your device has independent power management.

VESS II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series II
I know this is a VF thread, but where in a VE SS sedan can I get an accessory feed from for a dash cam?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Not from there, no. You have to pass it up from one of a number of sources behind the dash.