Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12v socket in boot?

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
Hi, has anyone installed a 12v cigarette lighter socket in the boot? I plan to do a driving holiday and would like to install a small fridge that can be plugged into the socket. I dun want to do it in the cabin as it can take valuable space. I am thinking on the lines of running a cable under the floor mats and then into the boot through the fold down middle seat.

Any ideas/suggestions most welcome!

Cheers,
Anu

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
You could possibly buy a cig lighter socket extension off eBay or something, and plug it into your centre console socket, run the extension under the carpet and through the middle seat, plug the fridge into that? Only if you don't need the centre console socket for something else ie. GPS etc.

They sell 2m cig lighter extensions on eBay fairly cheap, might want to take a look there :)

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
as stressball said, yo can buy extension cables with sockets on the end, I wold also suggest buying a doble adapter, that way you can plug you phone or what not in at the same time, or you can wire it into the wires in the console of the ciggy socket

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
thanks mate...thats what I intend to do but I was hoping someone has managed to install the adapter in the boot using the brake light power cable or something :)

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
If there are any 12v accessory wires near the boot then I'd imagine you could splice into them with a socket+wires?

You'd have to get LightningVP's input really, I don't know nearly enough to tell you how to make **** work :p

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
well it depends on a few things.

do you have amps in your boot?

if you wanted to do it properly. it would require a bit more effort but you could make it alot more permanent.

it also depends.
you could run a relay from the ignition to the fridge. so it is only on when the car is running

or alternatively you could run it straight from the battery (fused) and with a switch

but it is up to you. depends on your effort level or if you just want something that will work.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you would need to tap into the original power supply for the sigy lighter in the console or source another power supply from the battery. don't touch any lighting wiring as it's only live when applying the brakes etc. if you have a sub (as mentioned ^^^^) that could be a good source of power. check jaycar, they do a few different siggy socket extensions as well as some that can be mounted more permanently

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
yeah use the ciggy lighter run it to the back of the car well boot area and get an extention its easy as well

EQUIPED

AM VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
well it depends on a few things.

do you have amps in your boot?

if you wanted to do it properly. it would require a bit more effort but you could make it alot more permanent.

Unfortunately I don't have an Amp. But I like your suggestion of putting in some effort and making it more permanent! Thanks for your advice.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
i would say your best bet would be to run some 12 gauge positive from your battery or any other source. and hook it up to the ciggy lighter.

not sure about vz's but in the vn-s range i know the semi luxury models have the provisions for the cigarette lighter in the rear of the arm rest.

just food for thought.

it all depends on how good you are with electronics.

also if you are planning on getting an amp. you could pre run the cable and do it that way.