Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

150,000km Service on 2014 VF SV6 Storm

Taryne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 STORM
Car has just had its 150,000 km service at local mechanic.
Took a few days to be completed as they had to order in parts and correct oil, so service completed in sections. Last part was transmission service on Friday 1/2/19.
Car was running fine Thursday, dropped it off for service to be finished, picked it up at 4pm, car felt weird to drive, didn't take much notice until the next day when we drove 160km+ to next big town for the day. pull up at roundabout, when we move car clunks and jerks, felt like we were hit up the arse.
Later when slowing down and going around corners or through roundabout car surges can hear it revving.
Travelled home the same day couldn't really feel it surging then
Next day took it for a drive, went around 3 corners could feel it surging when car is out of the corner. Got my dad to look at it, he didn't go far it and before taking it home, said he said it sounded weird and to take it back to mechanic

Took it back first thing Monday morning, explained what was happening, told them it was fine Thursday before service and that i wanted it fixed.

They kept the car all day, drained transmission oil again, they said there was nothing wrong there, not sure what else they did, but they brought the car back to me last night said to drive it for a couple of days and to bring it back Wednesday or Thursday and let them know if its better, the same or worse

Went for 30 minute drive before work this morning, got it up to 80km/hr surged like 4 or 5 times on a straight road, can hear the revving. it doesn't usually do this.

Has anyone had issues like this before and have any suggestions on what is causing it

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
If I interpret you correctly, a surge is engine revs increasing but diminished acceleration due to a partial disconnect of the engine from and the rest of the driveline?
Sounds like in transmission fluid supply. Either quantity refilled too low or flow into the system impeded/blocked.
From what you've said, the mechanic likely suspected the same.
Possibly but much less likely incorrect transmission fluid.
Edit, spelling.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Car has just had its 150,000 km service at local mechanic.
Took a few days to be completed as they had to order in parts and correct oil, so service completed in sections. Last part was transmission service on Friday 1/2/19.
Car was running fine Thursday, dropped it off for service to be finished, picked it up at 4pm, car felt weird to drive, didn't take much notice until the next day when we drove 160km+ to next big town for the day. pull up at roundabout, when we move car clunks and jerks, felt like we were hit up the arse.
Later when slowing down and going around corners or through roundabout car surges can hear it revving.
Travelled home the same day couldn't really feel it surging then
Next day took it for a drive, went around 3 corners could feel it surging when car is out of the corner. Got my dad to look at it, he didn't go far it and before taking it home, said he said it sounded weird and to take it back to mechanic

Took it back first thing Monday morning, explained what was happening, told them it was fine Thursday before service and that i wanted it fixed.

They kept the car all day, drained transmission oil again, they said there was nothing wrong there, not sure what else they did, but they brought the car back to me last night said to drive it for a couple of days and to bring it back Wednesday or Thursday and let them know if its better, the same or worse

Went for 30 minute drive before work this morning, got it up to 80km/hr surged like 4 or 5 times on a straight road, can hear the revving. it doesn't usually do this.

Has anyone had issues like this before and have any suggestions on what is causing it
From what l understand it was ok, now after the service it is not! Seems to be as a result of the mechanics work logically. I'd suggest to go for a second opinion. Or lf your confident the mechanics honest take it back and leave him the problem until he determins/fixes the issue as he is obligated to.

Taryne

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 STORM
he has serviced the car since i first bought it, it had 21000ks on it so he does know the vehicle, it will be going back to him to solve the problem, i was just hoping to give him some help as it seems like he is stuck on what is causing it

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
he has serviced the car since i first bought it, it had 21000ks on it so he does know the vehicle, it will be going back to him to solve the problem, i was just hoping to give him some help as it seems like he is stuck on what is causing it
To put it bluntly considering all you have advised, maybee best to seek a new mechanic. Vehicles become more complex/technicle and mechanics need to retrain etc. Seems to be a problem above the mechanics mechanical ability.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
To put it bluntly considering all you have advised, maybee best to seek a new mechanic.

Potentially, but if it is the case where the current mechanic has caused this issue (likely, but not definitely), then surely he has to rectify it first? Otherwise the OP goes somewhere else and is slugged X amount of dollars for someone else's error. It seems like it's something to do with the transmission service. The rest of the 150k service is just regular filters and oil. I'm leaning towards the wrong fluid being used, and the surging you describe is possibly more of a gearbox 'flaring' issue.

Surely he has access to a scan tool to at least plug it in see if any codes are showing? that should give him a starting point.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57

They kept the car all day, drained transmission oil again, they said there was nothing wrong there,

i was just hoping to give him some help as it seems like he is stuck on what is causing it
Me personaly would expect a registered Mechanic to enshore the car is without fault before releasing to the customer unless otherwise advised/agreed. Not in this case. He has a second opertunity for a entire day. And now the customer feels the need to tell him what is/could be wrong. Loss of confidence in the establishment. A second opinion or repairer and ask him to pay for the repairs he has proven to be unable to within a resonable timeframe. I see that a fair and reasonable approach.

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Agree, get a second opinion. Possibly incorrect quantity of fluid. There's no dipstick so there's a procedure to follow to ensure correct fluid level.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I agree with a second opinion . A different pair of eyes might find something that previous mechanic missed or not done 100% as stated in this thread i.e not filled trans to spec .

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Your mechanic did the initial gearbox service and then had another go to fix what seems to be a problem of his making. Sadly he may have flushed away the damning evidence of his failure in trying to fix it in round two o_O

So it seems he can’t diagnose the cause of the gearbox problem and is using you to test the vehicle’s drivability; something he should have done before releasing it to you as already mentioned by others OR he knows he has stuffed things up... both scenarios are not ideal.

The best approach now is to tell your mechanic you are going to take it to a Holden dealer to diagnose the cause of the problem as he has had his chance and fresh eye are needed. Also tell him that you expect he will reimburse you for this diagnostic fee and any rectification work that may be required.

Get the dealer to document their finding and provide an accurate quote to rectify the issue. Then present this information to your mechanic so he can pay you the diagnostic fee. Then it’s morally up to you to decide if you let him try and fix the stated rectification work BUT I’d want Holden to fix the issue as he had his chance and I’d look to your ex mechanic to pay for such rectification work as well.

Obviously he’ll whine and bitch but if the gearbox failed while you were driving, and you crashed, he’d be liable for the damage to both vehicles and the gearbox repair. You should remind him of that.

Such an approach will define the quality of your mechanic and if he is accepting of it, and learns from it, you could choose to use him again. But you know the saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...

In my opinion going this way gives you a little more legal strength but burns bridges. But if the gearbox is cactus because of something your mechanic did and he doesn’t want to pay for a new box, the bridge is burnt anyway. May be worth ringing your state consumer affairs organisation and discussing the issue with them prior to going down whatever path you choose.