Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$1500 for Monroe GT and King Springs

v-petn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS VE
I was quoted $1500 for Monroe GT shocks and King Springs supplied, fitted and wheel alignment... Sounds over priced too me as you can get the shocks and springs for $800... Surely it shouldn't cost $700 in labor..

Anyone have any recommendation on where I can go for better price around Sydney?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
If you are around Northern Beaches, Dr Shocks at Brookvale. He has done 2 cars for me which I have been happy with. Also priced well.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Geez, I think I paid $1800 sup and fitted for Koni adjustables and Kings at Sydney Suspension at Penrith though I wouldn't go there again. I would only now go to Pedders at Hornsby. Dave there is manager and know's VE's and VF really well. You can trust what he advises.

v-petn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SS VE
Can I ask why you wouldn't go there again? Bad experience? Well Sydney Suspension quotes me $1850 for monte gt and springs. Quotes getting more expensive.

Might see how much Peddera Hornsby want for just springs then. Another Peddera want $850 just for springs fitted and alignment

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't forget new strut tops but it should be under 1 hour per wheel to fit so off you add parts plus $400 you should be getting close to the right price.
Lots of places will add their Christmas tax to that tho.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Don't forget new strut tops but it should be under 1 hour per wheel to fit so off you add parts plus $400 you should be getting close to the right price.
Lots of places will add their Christmas tax to that tho.

Never heard of the Xmas tax and I've been in the trade for a fair few years......

If anything, when it gets closer to Xmas, Easter, the Royal show, or other money sucking events for the general public, prices come down, because stores are trying to get you in to spend your money, not turn you away with it being bumped up as you insinuate...

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Definitely cant be worth 700 in labour.

I got my R8 Springs changed out for Ultra Lows all around and Rear shocks for $5-600 NZ.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Labour costs are between $100 and $130 per hour (can be more depending on the place)

4 wheel alignment is inbetween $70 to $100 (can be more depending on the place)

Front spring replacement takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours for the pair....

Rears take about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.....

Going by the rate of $130 per hour and taking 4 hours to do the job, and the wheel alignment cost, your looking at about $620....

Best thing to do is find out places hourly rate and the cost of a 4 wheel alignment, how long it will take and go figure whether you're being ripped or not

ShinyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pac Ute
A jack, a couple of stands and some spring compressors are a lot cheaper. I'd highly recommend you change them over yourself and then get an alignment. It helps to be handy with a spanner, but it's not a hard job at all. (Provided you don't snap the bolt holding your strut top on like i did once haha)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Of course being handy with spanners is great but if someone is not sure what they are doing I wouldn't recommend a full suspension rebuild as their first job...
the rears on a VE is quite a pain in the arse. I did the job myself and it cost me peanuts but I've been working on cars since I was a boy.