Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

15000km service interval means full syn oil only

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
got my car serviced today, and just some facts ive found out about oil to use in the alloytec motor:
with the 15000km service interval vehicles need a long life oil, as mineral oil in only designed to last 5000km (avg) and semi syn only approx 7500km, the only oil for thses cars are the fully synthetic, i run castrol magnatec 5W40, as recommended by autoleaders, and they wony warrant the use of mineral in cars they service that have long service intervals,
this claim has also been backed up by the local mobil distributor, they wont take part in any claim where the recommended oil hasnt been used, this being their Mobil 1 fully synthetic,

so why would the holden dealers recommend and mostly use mineral oil?

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
alloytec throttle body mods?

have heard that the throttle bodies on the alloytec can be modified but ths was through a friend of a friend, does anyone know if this is true? and how is it done? i get the feeling this friend of a friend was talking about those ebay crappy attachments

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's not kms that degrade the oil it's time. The additives break down. The distance is only averaged out for the time between oil changes. If you do a lot of k's then the oil will go further but still only the recommended time frame. As additives get more advanced, they last longer, hence the reason for longer service intervals. As for mineral oils not lasting as long as synthetics, thats only true for fully synthetic bases with no additives. Once you start putting additives in there then they break down just as fast as mineral oil. The additives are there to stabilize the oil, stop seal swell and hardness and to prolong engine life by reducing deposits.

twb1979

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Black CDTi Astra 6sp manual
Yeah but if you love your car....would you really leave your servicing intervals every 15,000kms?

I can understand fleet and govt. cars getting their oil dumped every 15,000kms, but if you plan on keeping your car for a few years then I can't see the logic on trying to save a few $$$ on oil and servicing.

I run Mobil1 5w/50 fully synthetic and get it changed every 6 months or 7500kms religiously.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
so why would the holden dealers recommend and mostly use mineral oil?

i certainly hope they dont use mineral oil the alloytec engine, lets just say they will be doing a lot of warranty work on them if they are