Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

17inch mags and lowering. What's the bad side?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hey all,

I have just gotten a full time job and will soon be earning some money =). I was thinking of putting some 17's on and lowering the back of my car.

As for the rims I aint sure what I want (i'll just look around) and for the springs i want the back end a few cm's off the tyre at the rear and assume i'll need new shocks with it too?

Anyways, my question is. What are the bad thigns about having 17's lowered? like camber wear or whatnot or ride or whatever.

cheers

sus steven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 AND VL CALAIS TURBO
hey mate if irs depend on how far you want to lower it you will camber kit about $200 max cause it will chew the inside of your tyres quickly. if solid axle depending on the width of the wheels an how low you want it a adjustable panhard rod about $150-$250 and if your lowering just a little bit like you said you can get away with just changing the springs the shocks will hold fine

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
hey mate if irs depend on how far you want to lower it you will camber kit about $200 max cause it will chew the inside of your tyres quickly. if solid axle depending on the width of the wheels an how low you want it a adjustable panhard rod about $150-$250 and if your lowering just a little bit like you said you can get away with just changing the springs the shocks will hold fine

Yeah at the moment the car is sitting 7cm above the tyre (stock) with 15inch hubs. Was thinking of what tyre width to get as well i guess and yeah was thinking of lowering the car around 5cm (50mm). So you dont reckon that needs shocks done? also the fron maybe just dropped 3cm? i dunno

sus steven

Reaction score
Members Ride
so yer you can get a away with just a set of lowerd kings springs nothing more should put it at the hight you want about
2.5cm- 3cm anything more shocks are needed if you have a irs will still wear in inside but no as bad and also get a wheel alinement

despo

V Fast S furious
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Sv6
i put 17s on mine and lowered it with some super low kings springs and havnt changed the shockers...no issue for the moment just i know in victoria its not road worth but no1 will look under there..the ride is a bit harder as the shockers arnt doing as much but evently i will kill the stock ones and have the buy shorter shocks..all depends on how much u wanna spend in one go..think it about 900 from pedders to get it lowered and new shocks i think.. look at mine my car to see if u think its the height ur looknig at

sus steven

Reaction score
Members Ride
i did the same in my vl superlows and about a month later i was always adjusting my steering wheel so i can keep it straight not worth it in the end

sus steven

Reaction score
Members Ride
an also i got pedders to do mine $1700 springs,shocks and swaybars all installed and alined and was lowered 3'' rear and 21/2'' front

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP

MrWooFarkinHoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exec BT1
Hi there, got a set of king springs for rear for sale - 50mm lower, also a set of FE2 struts brand new, never been fitted (Durashock) 2 weeks old if you are interested - PM me