Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

18" Wheels to fit brembo or ap racing package

Bigbrake kit worth it for street use ?

• Total voters

SSLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS LS3
I find the stock brakes on my VF2 SS LS3 ( 2 piston front / 1 piston rear) sedan in manual not confidence inspiring and planning to upgrade to a big brake kit.

However l want to stay with 18" rims due to comfort and keep tyre costs down. Looking for answers from folks who already have done a similar setup - If so can you share details and pictures. And can a 6 piston caliper brake be fitted under 18" wheel ?( I know there are other similar threads but cant find a definite answer.)

I will also publish my findings here to be useful for others.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Koya's make 18" wheels that will fit over HSV brake kits.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Honestly I did mine just for looks. Also I couldn't stand the fact that every little WRX and Mercedes had bigger brakes than my Calais :)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Thanks mate , do you know the model details , I was thinking an 8.5" wide wheel would be optimal.

The details are on the Koya website. Look at the semi forged range. A number of the 18 inch options are BB compatible.
http://www.koya.com.au/make/2-1/

Contact Koya and give them all the details of your car and the brake option front and rear you intend to fit and they will confirm if the wheel you have selected is compatible. Apart from that you have offset options with these wheels.

If you are going to fit a stock HSV brake package or a stock SSV Redline Brembo brake package that is fine. But if you are going to fit some other non - stock big brake package you will be required in VIC (as in NSW and QLD) to get an engineering certification before the vehicle will be compliant and considered roadworthy.
So if you want a non stock Big Brake package check with one of the certifiers in VIC before you buy it to ensure they will approve it. (Refer VIC ROADS - Guide to Modifications to Motor Vehicles - Vehicle Standards Bulletin 8 - available online in PDF.)

SSLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS LS3
I will be sending email to Koya.

Thanks Sean880,good to know about rules about using only the stock brake packages. How do guys like Harrop , Walkinshaw and many others sell their 6pot / 4 pot combo ?

Last edited:

SSLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS LS3
I guess my query boils down to 2 things . Any help in either would be much appreciated.

1. Is the big brakes necessary over stock brakes for street? If so how much better and is there any data to support it?

Based on 100-0 stopping distances for comparison
2016 SV6 Wagon Auto - Stock 2 pot / 1 pot 40.38m @ 3.06s
2016 SSV Redline sedan Auto - Brembo 4pot/4pot 37.77m @ 2.98s
2016 HSV GTS Sedan Manual - APRacing 6 pot/4 pot 35.05m @ 2.75s

So looks like appox 5m & 1/4 sec can be shaved off by the biggest stoppers compared to stock in 100 - 0 .

2. What are the 18" rims that can accommodate big brakes for those who do not want to upgrade to 19" and 20" wheels to do so ?

Other than Koya what are the other wheel options available in Australia ? Based on this thread https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...heel-fitment-guide-under-construction.243005/ I am planning to shortlist some wheels ,if it doesn't make me fully insane. Any help appreciated.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
I honestly prefer the size of 18" over 20" (obviously I'm in the tiny minority that do), but that is mostly because that even with Brembos (or other big brakes), the 20" make the brakes look small.
I love the look of those older AMG's and Porsches which had tiny gaps between the wheel and caliper, and the rotor that was only just smaller than the ID of the wheel.

730_main_l.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
2.6 to 5m and a few seconds can be the difference between life and death.
Remember though total stopping distance and time on first stop is one thing. Each repeat will see the gap widen as the stock's fade away and the Brembo's keep performing. Also a rotor and pad upgrade with Brembo's will see the difference increase by a far greater margin.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
2016 SSV Redline sedan Auto - Brembo 4pot/4pot 37.77m @ 2.98s
Motor magazine (August issue) did 100-0 km/h on VF2 SS ute with 36.53m. Apparently Hyundai i30SR did it with 33.95m. Guess it depends on the surface conditions on the day.